NYPD is on the lookout for woman who bashed subway musician on the head with a metal bottle (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/20/nypd-is-on-the-lookout-for-woman-who-bashed-subway-musician-on-the-head-with-a-metal-bottle-video.html

7 Likes

There is no excuse for this kind of violence.
As someone with autistic traits, I find loud music difficult to cope with, and I am not happy that there are often performers in public spaces who play loudly. I don’t care if it’s metal, folk or classical, I would just rather they weren’t there. I play instruments myself, and I’ve had arguments with other musicians about buskers being ignored. There are times and places for music, but busy thoroughfares should not be one of them. OF COURSE people are ignoring you. They’re trying to get somewhere, they’re in a hurry and you are, at best, a distraction, and at worst, a hindrance and a nuisance. It doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy Bach or Eagles - they just don’t have the capacity at that time and place.
I’ve passed musicians on the London Underground and my heart sinks. You can hear them a quarter of a mile away. It’s awful. Even if the music is good.
But hitting them on the head is not on. I don’t know what the answer is.

1 Like

Ear buds.with noise canceling.

3 Likes

In Toronto, they regulate it, with licenses, designated spots and schedules. Is it like that elsewhere or a free-for-all?

1 Like

Well, there are probably some regulations, but plenty of folks will set up and play until they told to leave by transit police. People aren’t supposed to perform inside the train either and I’ve been subject to many serenades.
I’m in the not fond of buskers in the subway camp, even if they have some talent and play stuff I like. And the likelihood of that happening is minuscule.

1 Like

Sad to say, noise-cancelling does not work with music. I have noise-cancelling headphones. They work with regular continuous noise, like heavy machinery. They don’t work with noise that varies in pitch, tone and volume. So, walking down a subway passage past a “musician” does not make any difference to the noise that they produce and I hear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.