NYT chart shows all causes of death in NYC over past 20 years, then coronavirus spike

Given what it does to the heart and lungs I expect they wouldn’t have have a heart attack or a stroke without covid.

2 Likes
3 Likes
13 Likes

Not the John Hopkins site. 7,887 as of 8:20 ET on Apr 5.

A number that will be sadly out of date in an hour

1 Like

Wait, don’t those estimates account for the disease, independently if it is tested or not?
It seems pretty silly to make an estimation like that depending on your testing capability, which changes dramatically with time, and then having to correct it.
I think whoever made those predictions are already thinking about measuring the number of deaths that surpass the normal baseline, and that it can only be done after everything is over.

I came here to make the opposite point, because I was reacting to the cropped image in the second tweet. Comparing that to the original pretty much makes your point.

A secondary consideration relates to the spikes you see in the winter months. A lot of this is probably due to seasonal flu, which strongly argues against the “COVFEFE is just a bad flu and nobody shuts down the economy for that” stance taken by the Fox-and-worse crowd.

The Lancet paper that I’m using as the most recent estimate tries to account for incomplete testing, asymptomatic cases, etc. Until we have much more complete population-based studies, though, the best we can hope for is to go from WAG to SWAG.

And: it might be silly, but we have to plan based on something. The only thing worse than a poor plan is no plan at all, which is how the USA started in this catastrophe. (There was a plan, but it got ditched a couple of years ago as having Obama cooties or something.)

1 Like

And people move to NYC just as they’re starting their prime Don’t-Die years

They also wouldn’t count all those people that died of other things but due to lack of treatment because the hospitals were fucked.

Yeah, assholes gotta ass.

I had a long back and forth with a friend of a friend who thought NYC deaths were a hoax, and presented this as evidence:

I had to explain her own numbers in her tweet literally didn’t add up.
She comes up with “a person dying every nine minutes” and gets 419 death per day.
60 minutes in an hour.
24 hours a day. 60x24 is 1440 minutes per day.
1440/9 = 160 dead per day in NYC. Not 419.

Went to https://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/vital_statistics/2017/table35.htm

Realized she was looking at all NY State deaths, to find the 419 deaths. Not just NYC deaths.

Should you come across people who support her, feel free to share this far and wide.

3 Likes

Maybe now she’ll be known as…

Candace OWENED!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.