More deaths now in U.S. from coronavirus than 9/11 terror attacks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/31/more-deaths-now-in-u-s-from-c.html

4 Likes

Never forget?

2 Likes

This is one of the milestones I’ve been waiting for. The next one is a little further out, but coming in New York, which is when lab confirmed COVID passes lab confirmed flu. It is about 1/3 of the way there. Given that flu is declining (stay in place and the seasonal trend) I think they will probably cross in the not too distant future.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Dr. Deborah Birx, another medical professional leading the American response, said the following day that Fauci’s figures could pan out even “if we do things almost perfectly.”

Really seems like Dr. Brix’s sole job is to convince people that no matter what Trump does and no matter the outcome, Trump did the right thing.

3 Likes

To be honest…ANY disease in the US is most likely responsible for more deaths in a single year than 9/11.

8 Likes

Can we start a list of things that have caused more deaths than 9/11?

COVID-19
The war on terror?
School shootings?

5 Likes

I won’t be surprised if another parallel is unprecedented additional power to the government before this is over that will take decades – if ever – to reverse. What would a virus based version of the Patriot Act be called?

Something along these lines:

8 Likes

That raises an interesting question: which do you believe will ultimately have a greater affect on our society, Covid-19 or 9/11?

3 Likes

My company (a property/casualty insurer) forwarded this, and I thought it was both responsible of them and worth sharing

3 Likes

It wasn’t the deaths that gave 9/11 its greatest impact on NYC, it was the devastation of lower Manhattan. The freezing of the NYSE, the ginormous hole that took years to clear and cover up.

Due to the precipitous drop in commercial real estate values, residential construction shot up. It turned lower Manhattan into a residential neighborhood again after over a century.

9/11 is a distant cause for the start of “bluelining” in NYC. Creation of high end luxury buildings to appeal to money laundering foreign oligarchs and displacement of the middle class.

2 Likes

I really wonder what we’ll end up thinking had the bigger effect. Off the top of my head, 9/11 created the changes in NY you mentioned, fundamentally different experiences in air travel, the Patriot Act, the cultural dominance of “terrorism” as a justification for just about anything, and of course a couple of wars that happen to be ongoing 20 years later.

Who the heck knows what we’ll end up thinking about the virus. Obviously thousands and thousands of businesses will go under in the coming months, to be replaced by who knows what? Do chains just swoop in and fill the void left by thousands of local shops & restaurants? Does this tip the balance to universal healthcare and/or UBI? Do we start looking at billionaire owners of businesses paying minimum wage differently? How the heck do we manage crowds a year from now?

8 Likes

6dfabbda30cd4b9b23e383115090ec80b218c871

13 Likes

The Federal Instant Act Securing Coronavirus Obliteration ?

5 Likes

Another one is when we’re having a 9/11’s worth of deaths per day - which is less than 20 days away if it doubles every 5 days (I’ve seen reports that NYC’s cases are doubling every 3 days).

2 Likes

That… is sort of an odd metric. LOTS of things are more deadly per year than 9/11. Including the Flu.

1 Like

i dunno. incompetent leadership ignores warnings. americans killed. financial calamity. a daily world turned strange. a clueless response that only causes more death. an excuse to curtail civil liberties at home and abroad. an excuse to double down on planet and people killing fossil fuels. blame of people based on skin color.

avoidable human tragedy at mass scale. seems similar enough.

8 Likes

Does that mean we’ll be invading Afghanistan and Iraq?

1 Like

As recently as a few days ago Rudy Giuliani was still peddling these “guys, people die all the time so we need to maintain some perspective here” crap.

Not only are his numbers extremely dubious, but he’s spent the better part of the last two decades framing himself as the greatest hero in American history because he was mayor of NYC when a few thousand people were killed in the 9/11 attacks.

8 Likes

Well, honestly, we all could have done with some perspective after 9/11, and not done things like start two wars and enact the Patriot Act, among other things. (I include myself in this statement.)

1 Like