U.S. coronavirus death toll passes 60,000

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-pa.html

3 Likes

Well at least all that unpleasantness is over with now so we can safely reopen Florida.

14 Likes

Wasn’t the war in Afghanistan started over about 5% as many as this number of deaths?
There’s gotta be some country that we can start a war with over this.

5 Likes

Note- the Coronavirus death rate appears to drop each Sunday/Monday - probably simply due to clerical issue so with reporting on holidays…
Ive noticed people each week saying ‘we may be past the peak’ but then it just turns out to be this ‘weekend’ effect.
I could be wrong but that’s what it looks like…

7 Likes

a 9/11’s worth of deaths a day, every day, for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Trump responded by saying that he expects the number of deaths to get much lower in the near future as we begin to run out of Americans.

7 Likes

…Only if we’re lucky.

2 Likes

The also pushes us past another benchmark, we are above all but the very highest estimate for this year’s flu deaths. We are on track to pass that by some time overnight or tomorrow based on reporting speed. That’s with somewhat vigorous controls. At the end of this week, large parts of the country will be lifting those restrictions. Given a lower bound of two days for symptoms, we may actually begin to see the earliest evidence of an explosion in cases, before the thread even closes. This is going to be a moment we look back on like it was the grand old days.

3 Likes

Seems we are at war with the USA. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Well, the tweets from the Covfefe Tracking Project say that 77 and 79 people are talking about this, so I guess we’re on top of it.

I think that’s the reason they’re opening Florida. That and the fact that it’s Florida.

3 Likes

Looking at the graph I see a series of harmonics, number of deaths grow exponentially, then decrease then start growing again

It is almost like a series of graphs added one after the other, when the virus is controlled in one area, it moves to a different one and starts over again.

This shows how ineffective are partial measures and how the different approach by the states is failing to contain the spread

I mentioned more than a month ago, looking at the example of Italy and Spain, a delay in taking measures produced thousands of excess victims and the only good approach is to take drastic measures all over the country. You can’t have a state in lock down and the neighbour open

5 Likes

I don’t like the way Uruguay has been strutting around lately.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.