NYT declares "bullet" killed 14 year old girl, not the cop that fired it

I get that folks enjoy being clever, but a 14 year old is dead here. Can we knock it off, maybe? The COP killed this girl, not the bullet, the gun, or the hole. These “clever” jokes do little more than help cover over the absolute avalanche of police violence that’s killing people. I wish people would not use these deaths as a means of showing how very clever they are, but instead took it seriously. Because maybe then we could fix this issue.

I doubt she’d be down with mocking a dead child.

3 Likes

I am normally pro cop.
I am generally in favor of responsible private ownership of of weapons.
I used to be a Republican until the nut jobs took over so I still think of myself as conservative.

One does not shoot a rifle indoors or where one cannot ascertain the background is clear for a long ways off except in the gravest extreme which this does not appear to have been.

Even highly trained snipers with rock solid shooting places miss now and then. Charging in and just shooting seems guaranteed to produce misses and thus the current needless tragedy.

1 Like

Yep. And in trial, the only actions under consideration are the very specific moments when a police weapon is fired, basically. It’s infuriating that we never get to (legally) consider the decisions and actions that lead up to those moments, when it comes to cops. But the past actions and decisions of their victims is always fodder for the mills.

The Breonna Taylor case is a stunning example of what I mean. There was no need for the cops to approach the potential arrest that way.

5 Likes

The recent NY Times articles about police shootings have been good because they talk about the often really crude ways that police will directly put themselves in situations where they’re “at risk” to justify shootings because they know that the entirely context will be completely ignored. But yeah, there’s multiple levels on which police construct these deadly contexts.

3 Likes

Okay… Somone on NYPD got some ammo at Toontown!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.