NYT: In times of global shock people help each other, while the elite panic

Agree. Once we get the testing situation sorted the real numbers will be very scary.

It seems like this administration has a vested interest in keeping the numbers artificially low, which sadly will cost lives.

ETA: Today’s numbers.

• Total cases: 1,629
  • Total deaths: 41
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 47
2 Likes

I went over my notes to Rebecca Solnit’s A Paradise Built in Hell this week for some perspective on this slow motion disaster. They are extensive and available at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2016/07/notes-on-rebecca-solnits-paradise-built.html

Also rereading Camus’ The Plague in both English and my stumbling French as I self-cocoon.

Turns out mutual aid may be a default setting for human beings (some people are less than human, usually those elites who panic) which should make Kropotkin happy wherever his spirit resides.

2 Likes

Is this correct data ?

Latest from the Johns Hopkins dashboard has the US total at 1268 as of a couple of minutes ago.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s way too much for an adjunct professor of history… literally NONE of us make that.

ds9-sisko-eyeroll|nullxnull

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.