Man blames media for news

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/16/man-blames-media-for-pandemic.html

9 Likes

“How dare you report about people panicking!”
“Sir, you are one of the people panicking.”

47 Likes

He also forgets that every hospital bed taken up by a Covid-19 patient (even a large number of non-elderly require hospitalization) is one less bed for someone with an unrelated condition (car crashes, heart attacks, etc.) I fear it is too late for the US and their situation will be closer to Italy than South Korea.

32 Likes

Note that South Korea has the second-highest supply of hospital beds per capita in the world (behind only Japan).
The figure in the US is about a quarter as many per capita. It doesn’t make the top 30.

19 Likes

There are many types of problems in the world that can be fixed, but you can’t fix stupid and unwilling to learn.

21 Likes

Hey, a man shouting inarticulately at a camera in a super market car park says the Covid-19 is no worse than flu! This is just like watching a presidential address.

53 Likes

the eyeroll at the end was so worth the wait.

24 Likes

I wonder if China would let him in, since he would enjoy the news broadcasts over there much more.

2 Likes

But any second now, supermarket parking lot guy is gonna pivot and be presidential.

17 Likes

If we were living in a zombie movie this would be the queue for a staggering corpse to enter the frame and bite off his face.

26 Likes

For some reason, I don’t think this guy believes anything, unless he hears it from Alex Jones (or equivalent).

9 Likes

Remember people : you still can be contagious UP TO FOUR WEEKS after recovery. This is some vicious crap.

7 Likes

My idiot coworker yesterday:

“This is stupid, it’s nothing. Nobody panicked over N1H1 a few years ago and that killed thousands. What’s funny is, if you look at the map, in Russia there’s just one dot. They’re already saying it’s man-made.”

What the hell garbage website are you looking at, Hardy? Who’s saying that?

“Experts.”

25 Likes

Is he related to Florida Man? Asking for a friend…

9 Likes

Here’s the thing though - he’s not entirely wrong. Media outlets were the first to suggest that people should start stocking up on essentials, and to suggest that there were going to be toilet paper shortages. Inciting people into panic buying, and focusing on that in the news cycle rather than perhaps suggesting reasonable behaviour, when it was clear things were getting out of hand, only exacerbates the problem.

3 Likes

99% wrong, that’s pretty much wrong. Maybe “wrong” is different over yonder where you are from…

14 Likes

But 99% wrong is still 1% right, so he isn’t entirely wrong.

/s

11 Likes

Yes, weeks and even months ago when there was still plenty of time to start preparing for the situation we now find ourselves in.

It was generally sound advice and I for one am glad my family started stockpiling non-perishable items before the current rush.

14 Likes

I was going to say that they might come up with a cure for covid-19, but there’s no cure for stupidity.

11 Likes

I wonder who he voted for. :thinking:

8 Likes