NYT: Media company co-founder almost tricked Goldman Sachs into a $40m investment by posing as YouTube executive

Originally published at: NYT: Media company co-founder almost tricked Goldman Sachs into a $40m investment by posing as YouTube executive | Boing Boing

5 Likes

No-one caught on when he opened with “How do you do, fellow real tech executives!”?

5 Likes

Go big, or go home kind’a guy…

3 Likes

So torn on this one. I mean, they probably recreated the voice from snippets of YouTube, right? So it’s technically the YouTube guy! Sorta. Mostly.

But I’m going with scorn for all involved. Ferfucksake GS; where’s your due diligence?!

2 Likes

I mean, technically, aren’t we all YouTube executives?

4 Likes

If I use youtube and you use youtube, doesn’t that make it Our tube?

bb666c6f5eb4c6f43bf16b361a82d80f

3 Likes

Also, now I know what’s behind the flood of Ozy emails I get in my throw-away email address. Never really understood what they were, what they were selling, or how they got my email.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right!

1 Like

I’m shaking my head at the media company execs trying to pretend the guy had a mental health crisis that caused him to impersonate the YouTube dude, and not part of a consistent pattern of shady behavior where the company executives have been faking viewer/subscriber numbers in various ways and then lying about it every time they were caught. Nope, he totally had some “mental health” issue that caused him to apparently coordinate with others in a complex plan to carefully impersonate someone to inflate the company he co-founded, a “mental health crisis” which was only revealed when he got caught committing a federal crime, and then he “got treatment” and he’s all better now, guys and back on the job! It sounds like exactly zero people are buying that.

1 Like

Do y’all remember when Weekend All Things Considered hired Arun Rath (over Tess Fucking Vigeland!) as their new host, and for the whole ~12 months that Rath lasted as host they had this weird partnership with Ozy?

That was a weird era for National Public Radio.

1 Like

Enough of this nonsense- put John Barron on the line or the deal’s off.

2 Likes

As he spoke, however, the man’s voice began to sound strange to the Goldman Sachs team, as though it might have been digitally altered, the four people said.

Oh come on. The first red flag was that he was asking for such a small sum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.