NYT: Saudi Arabia's Prince Charming was Mister Bone Saw all along

Right. Because its really called torturing someone to death. An act of premeditated sadism and cruelty. The kind of thing people get executed for in many states here.

15 Likes
13 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that all Trump has done is not condemn MBS. Torturing and killing a journalist seems like exactly the sort of thing for which he would express wistful admiration during one of his speeches to the fourth reich campaign rallies.

23 Likes

serious question, if a president can’t be prosecuted, how is the emoluments clause actually enforced?

and how exactly are “honest” conservatives accepting what they are seeing? this is bold, naked corruption, there’s no way they are saying “oh well”

3 Likes

“The Enemies of the People MUST be punished.” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Same. Because you know when he first heard about it, he thinking process was:

“Washington Post? Washington Post!” :he laughs: “Suck it, Amazon Washington Post! Suck it, Bezos!”
Then: “OK, was it a white guy? Kind of? But, not white-white? Good!”
“Not a citizen either? Great!”
“Resident? So, like he’s an alien? (How did we let him in in the first place?)”

I think if the news keeps up about Khashoggi, he will make that wistful comment. He has to. It’s in his brain, bouncing around, and anything in his brain eventually pushes its way out (like his comment regarding McCain and not liking POW “losers”). When it does, KellyAnne will say that “it was a joke.”

21 Likes

That is exactly it. He cannot allow the peons to think that the protesters actually got what they wanted, might encourage others to seek rights. They are ALL his to give or take away, at his discretion only. Anyone, now to include other royals, who think they have any sort of say must be ruthlessly repressed.

7 Likes

But… But… But… Donny Two Scoops said the Saudis told him they weren’t involved, and he believed them. Who are you to question the God-Emperor, Lord Dampnut?

6 Likes

Perhaps that should be “Davros of the Desert.”

Could the story have been deliberately released to give a warning to others?

2 Likes

*Dalek voice : “INVESTIGATE!!” ?

10 Likes

Well of course Trump backs the Prince. Given the chance to kill and dismember a reporter who wrote bad things about him, Trump would do it in a heartbeat if he thought he could get away with it. That’s his favorite fantasy… Well, one of them at least.

8 Likes

Um… the KSA, for all its insularity, was never a “closed” country. There’s nothing new about Nike and Coca-Cola in the KSA. MBS has not radically opened any doors on that front. This is a misanalysis of the kind of changes MBS is pursuing, which are about Hubbert Cruve economics, not fundamentally about opening up to Western business, but about getting Western businesses to invest directly in non-petroleum endeavours.

Edit: Incidentally, MBS is not uniquely responsible here. The Saudi oligarchal and royal structure is not off the hook.

5 Likes

I’m waiting for him to say something like, “Don’t make me get the bone saw, Acosta!”

3 Likes

This whole situation bothers me to no end. How incompetent do you have to be to get pulled into this quagmire? You’re the government of a totalitarian state, you can do whatever the fuck you want, yet you get caught committing a murder of a dissident. On your own territory. Really.

As criminal cartels the world over are proving daily, making people disappear without a trace is not that difficult. Yet with all the means of a super rich state behind you, you fuck it up. You commit the act in a location owned by you, so you can’t deny that. You do it with fifteen (seriously, what the fuck) people, when two will suffice. You get detected because Turkey bugged your consulate, how incompetent. There’s allegedly even video, even more incompetent.

Was it really that difficult to lure this man with a fake story, drive him out into the desert somewhere and bury him there? Pure incompetence, no doubt caused by arrogance.

I expect tyrants to do better, this is an evil overlord list level of incompetence.

7 Likes

So the thing about this heinous murder that bothers you is how incompetently it was done?

Or did you forget the /s tag?

3 Likes

I’m not sure what that means? Should perhaps have added some emoji, but yes this was sarcasm.

1 Like

I’m with him. This is gross incompetence. I demand better out of despots. Make em work for it.

3 Likes

Ok, got it. And yes, shambolic despots really churn my chowder too.

/s

4 Likes

I mean, really guys, take some pride in your work! At least when the Russians bungle an assassination they have a whole disinformation apparatus ready to kick into action.

12 Likes

Oh don’t get me started on that. Using a chemical weapon when a knife in a dark alley will do. Makes me wonder if besides corrupting you, power also makes you stupid.

10 Likes