Obduction marks a comeback for the makers of Myst

Bah. Hook up the TV with a cable from your desk or some wireless thingamajig. Personally, I use an XBOX controller (wireless) to go with it. Playing Skyrim that way was phenomenal. Depends on your apartment layout of course.

1 Like

Hm, that sounds kinda buggy? I’m using an AMD A10-7860 (no dGPU), which is low-end by every standard but it works fine at 1080p and medium settings.

1 Like

Yup. Moving along now. I’d rather watch the equally slow, real world puzzle game of Rob not opening the safe he found in his house.

3 Likes

For a long time Myst and Riven were the high water marks for me.

These days if Fallout4 and The Long Dark.
TLD is about to release its actual game and I cannot wait! If you like exploring check it out its nothing but.

3 Likes

The weirdest complaint I’ve always heard about Myst/Riven is that they’re “slow”, as if all they needed were a few gunfights or a ninja attack to spice up your puzzle-solving. I get it, puzzles and environment exploration aren’t for everyone. But I’ll always treasure the time I spent when Myst first came out, myself and a friend huddled at the computer, our messy pile of notes and clues next to us, trading ideas as we made it thru D’ni.

There’s a really interesting interview in the AV Club with Rand Miller. He sounds like a genuinely neat person, full of a lot of wonder and curiosity and gratefulness about the success he’d had.

7 Likes

I’ll have to fiddle with it. My laptop is in no way a gaming platform, but neither does Obduction sound like it should be a particular resource-hog. I never had any trouble like this with the previous Myst titles, and I always played on something fairly obsolete.

Never even heard of this. I shall check it out!

1 Like

Yeah, Rand is a really great guy.

Obduction isn’t pre-rendered like the other Myst games, though. It’s a realtime 3D game, meaning your computer is doing all of the work now to crate the images you’re seeing, and they really push the Unreal 4 engine to its limits to make things look as good as they do. I remember this same thing coming up a lot when Uru first came out, because compared to its pre-rendered predecessors, the system requirements for that game were very high too.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhh! OOOOHHHH!!! I’ve DL’ed the trial, have they released the full game? For people wanting atmospherics…wow. Quite a beautiful game.

2 Likes

It’s showing up on my mac steam client now. I can’t play it on my windows tower because it’s freezing like after Ragnarök*. We’ll see if my 4 year old macbook is up to it.

*No claims to actual knowledge of Norse myths should be inferred from this comment.

1 Like

The story mode is in preview. Reviewers and testers just got chapter one and all I see on Twitter is the creater going “guys… no spoilers!”

I cannot wait!!

Enjoy! Sandbox is endlessly fun! I’m currently 1/3 through the nomad challenge.

1 Like

I haven’t done much more than wander a bit and enjoy the work they put into the soundscape as well as the graphics. Made me happy to wander without much of an objective. I’ve been spending my xbox time on Fallout4, to the detriment of L4D2 and TLD.

by crumb it’s late

1 Like

Wasn’t Myst V like that, too? I mean, I could have sworn I remembered the movement in Myst V being pretty free-roam, at least within similar rails to that I’ve encountered in the first 1/2 hour of Obduction.

No you’re right, it was. I guess I spaced on it because my brain tends to lump it in with Uru. That said, Myst V uses essentially the same engine that Uru does, so the system requirements for it aren’t much higher than what they were in 2003 when Uru came out.

Hahaha are you me? Cuz Im on my second play through of Fallout4. Such a giant world!

1 Like

Man, I’ve just gotten bad acid-trip flashbacks where I’m playing Myst with a double-speed CD-ROM player… Every effing two steps you took on the freakin’ railway tracks which were the only part of that world which you were allowed to walk on and now another friggin’ CD access which took three minutes out of your life!

Not to mention: $30 isn’t a screaming deal.

1 Like

Aha. I’ve never used Steam before, but as soon as I get a chance, I’ll check it out.

Tracks? Don’t remember that at all. I recall playing on a Mac IIci, then a PowerMac 6100, and finally the 8500. No issues.

You couldn’t walk around where you wanted in Myst, you couldn’t really explore. You could only move along specific lines, as if they were railway tracks.

It’s one of the things that made me wonder why it was so slow and made me curse.

Free-roam games like Doom traded graphical fidelity for the ability to fully explore the environment. Your computer was drawing what you saw many times per second in those games, but computers back then weren’t powerful enough to do much more than what Doom was asking. Myst wasn’t free-move - or even free-look - because it would have been impossible to do at the time. Instead, it was a collection of still images and some video overlays. Those stills and videos were crunched down to 8-bit and compressed, but they still had to be streamed off of the CD-ROM. There was a bit of a delay when moving from frame to frame simply because of the limitations of the data transfer speed from CDs. And if your CD drive spun down, it would take an extra few seconds to load the next image while it spun back up.

That said, I don’t recall it ever taking minutes to move from place to place.

I played it a week or so after it came out on a pretty mediocre Mac, and I remember each change of scene taking maybe a second or so. Videos took a few seconds to load up, it wasn’t too bad. If the CD had to spin up, that was maybe four or five seconds. At no point did I feel like moving around took several minutes between scenes. One of its pleasures was how fluid it felt clicking and moving around with things just being still images.