Oculus dude Palmer Lucky funds racist pro-Trump hate memes

This whole election has just gotten too weird.

16 Likes

This is exactly why I’ve decided to deprecate such transitive use of the word ‘fuck’. I know I can come up with something at least as savage, just need to give myself time and practice.

3 Likes

When stuff is happening that hasn’t already featured as a plot point in an Neal Stephenson books, then shit has officially got weird.

5 Likes

I read the headline about Palmer being pro-trump this morning on the front page of Yahoo and my reaction was pretty immediate. Glad i have no plans on buying a Rift, also fuck Trump and anyone that supports him.

5 Likes

So he’s behind /r/TheDonald? To what end? Does he really want to get Trump elected, or is it just some experiment to show the power of one wealthy individual?

5 Likes

Boy your jargon is really weird. By manipulators do you mean controllers? Because Oculus has those and they are available to developers, they just haven’t shipped to the general public.

Teleporting isn’t part of any API in particular, it’s just the preferred method of moving the player as accelerations and decelerations in vr cause motion sickness.

Yes Oculus is designed primally for stationary games but with a second camera you can do room scale as well, it’s just not as widely supported. Also 100 foot room? What is this even?

1 Like

Is there a difference? If he’s actively promoting a candidate there’s only one outcome he’s hoping to get.

3 Likes

Hmmm, what I want in a VR headset…

I want to be at the helm of my spaceship, issuing commands and reviewing incoming data.

I feel a twinge…ugh. Nature calling again? Fuck this noise how can I manage an interstellar asteroid mining operation if I have to get up and drain myself every too often?

But, nature doesn’t call with questions, only demands. I stand, leave my command console and walk to a sliding steel door leading to the officer’s executive privy. It might make a Star Trek Phwoosh, it might not, I haven’t decided.

Inside, the sleek modernity and sterility is exactly like what you would expect aboard a starship ore processor 3 1/2 kilometers in length and 1 1/2 kilometers in breadth. Hard to fathom that throughout this megalith of technological mastery there exists a mundane system that serves the same function it always has.

Nowadays the refuse drops through a projected field that is vapour impermeable, below which the refuse is immediately broken down, moisture removed and shunted to a purification unit which will reintroduce the cleansed moisture back into service in ship’s reserves.

What is left isn’t much, that scant powder is blasted through a thin conduit into a larger holding tank, which is then itself depressurized regularly, leaving all thoughout the cosmos a perfectly representative trail of our dominance.

While enduring this momentary, annoying yet somewhat pleasant disruption, several HUDs flit about keeping me apprised of critical command systems. Another HUD pops up to tell me that my backside is again sanitary, and I can resume my post.

Back through the sliding steel door which may or may not Pwhoosh, I find that an armada of Serpentis dogs are intent on eradicating our mining fleets in a system not far. Our defensive fleets are what they won’t expect and while we may lose a few expendable miners, the Serpentis armada will lose everything, and a few key cities on planets nearby that may have harboured them will be pushed into dust from above.

All is well.

(I want a VR system that will integrate the necessary features of my home into the game, like, if my partner brought me a sandwich, which isn’t likely, but if it did happen, they’d be seen as part of the illusion, and the sandwich would too, eh?)

So, on topic, fancy Mc-Trump pants VR dude doesn’t have this yet, so fuck him

13 Likes

What I want in a VR headset is for it to integrate with my 3d modelling and rendering software. Games? Developing yes, playing not so much.

6 Likes

Everyone needs a hobby.

4 Likes

FunkDaddy is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

only tangentially related - I snorted seeing SMBC’s take on augmented reality

2 Likes

Yeah well think of the time you could save if it came with house/office features pre-integrated. You could be working on modeling my toilet while sitting on yours!

All this assumes wireless tho, is Vive wireless?

3 Likes

None if the major headsets are wireless. I do recall seeing a wireless one announced by… Razer? or one of those types of companies but i honestly don’t follow the VR market all that closely.

2 Likes

I agree that the result is the same, but the motive matters. If he’s just trying to show that posting shitmemes is a way to alter the way people think, but the unintended consequence is that he craps all over Clinton, then that’s different from being a full-throated Trump supporter. I wonder if the diehards over at /r/TheDonald will be upset when they realize they’ve been manipulated? I always figured the over-the-top crap on that subreddit wasn’t for-real.

I haven’t got that much RAM.
:grin:

2 Likes

According to The Verge :

Posting as "NimbleRichMan" on the Trump-themed subreddit that birthed Nimble America, Luckey said that he had supported Trump's presidential ambitions "for years," and had "encouraged him to run during the last election" — the same year that a 19-year-old Luckey first launched his Oculus Kickstarter. "The American Revolution was funded by wealthy individuals," he said under his pseudonym, stating that "you can't fight the American elite without serious firepower." Luckey said he had that financial firepower to spare. "I've got plenty of money," Luckey said. "Money is not my issue."

6 Likes

If you step on a turd because you didn’t know it was there vs step on a turd because you wanted to prove a point it shouldn’t matter because you stepped on a turd.

Also the turd is Trump.

12 Likes

So rich a-hole doesn’t want to pay taxes and screw everybodyelse-I-got-mine? Color me completely unsurprised.

asshole gonna asshole, amirite?

12 Likes

The comment I saw on Tumblr back in February was that “it feels like this is the last season of America, and the writers just don’t give a shit anymore and are throwing in whatever they can.”

19 Likes

10 Likes