Oculus headset giving you a headache? Come see ye olde analog virtual reality in Los Angeles!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/11/oculus-headset-giving-you-a-he.html

2 Likes

My how I hanker for those none Oculus days of yesteryear.

1 Like

I remember visiting the Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama in Atlanta. Quite an experience. I would love to see this one in Los Angeles. As a side note: Interesting that nearly all of the Cycloramas around the world are of war battles.

2 Likes
1 Like

They recently moved it up to Buckhead, to the Atlanta History Center, which is probably a better place for it than the Zoo…

1 Like

The wikipedia article has this fascinating detail

The painting was created as a traveling attraction for Northerners; it portrayed celebrated Union officers, while the portrayals of Confederate officers were not individualized.[3] It was purchased and moved to Atlanta in 1891 by Paul Atkinson, who attempted to recast the Battle of Atlanta as a Confederate victory, repainting a group of Confederate prisoners of war so they became defeated Union soldiers.[3]

I always wondered why Boston’s Cyclorama building was designed the way it is. The winding entry to the exhibit space in particular. I had no idea it was to build the drama for 19th century VR.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.