Odd letters and numbers appearing on cars in Redding, California

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/odd-letters-and-numbers-appear.html

3 Likes

“Mine says ‘2g1cup’. . . wonder what that means. . . . and why is there vomit all over my car?!”

12 Likes

Some people are suggesting that the codes could be the work of sex traffickers. For example, “2F” could refer to two females and “1F1B” could mean one female and one boy.

OK, now I don’t know the first goddamn thing about sex trafficker hobo signs, but I’m willing to bet I know at least as much about them as the person who posted that nonsense to Facebook, where it got repeated by a mainstream news site, and then repeated again here.

39 Likes

Some people think everything is a satanist plot.

“Are pedophiles marking your kids for kidnapping into their underage orgy sessions? Film at 11.”

23 Likes

I think the 2020 version of that is “Antifa pedophiles are marking your kids for kidnapping into Biden’s underage orgy sessions! #qanon

15 Likes

Mysteries are (apparently) always about breaking sexx laws

4 Likes

Take with grain of salt, but I was informed those markings are common in Food Bank, Harvesters, etc situations. As you drive up, they mark the number of families being serviced as well as the count of babies…so the people actually LOADING your trunk know to grab X number of ‘family packs’ and Y number of ‘baby packs’. In the pictured case, 2F means 2 family packages. 1F1B means one family pack, one baby focused pack.

Again, NOT directly experienced, just parroting, but I’m sure there is some folk around BoingBoing who work with food assistance and can confirm or deny the usage.

33 Likes

Clearly the number stations have gained sentience.

18 Likes

Are they better at this sort of thing than Qanon?

these are unicode characters!

2f = /
1f1b = Ἓ

17 Likes

It is clearly hex coding. 2F is 47. 1F1B is 7963.

Both are prime numbers. It’s a number conspiracy theory.

28 Likes

There’s not enough data to backup what the signs mean, if they had a pool of examples beyond one verified one (2F) anything else the article has to say is wild speculation. It could be sex trafficking but it could also easily be a million other things.

6 Likes

I bet the people reporting them are putting them up there. This has Q-cumber conspiracy disinformation written all over it.

13 Likes

These are like illiterate versions of Prince song titles.

4 Likes

Move along, nothing to worry about.

10 Likes

we had one in KC area that looked like it was put on with white shoe polish or the like. That was where my “Harvesters” information came from in my earlier comment…

There’s suddenly all these urban legends around sex traffickers that I’m pretty sure are entirely because of Qanon. So this is actually a part of that larger, totally insane narrative, even though Satanists and Democrats aren’t being mentioned (yet).

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say: no, it couldn’t. That’s not how sex trafficking works, certainly not in the US. Sex traffickers don’t go around spotting cars, following them so they can then write who was in the car at that time on the car so that, what, some other sex traffickers can come along later, randomly spot the car and hope the same number of people will be in the car at the time so they can kidnap and enslave them? There was some other urban legend that a zip tie on the car meant the occupant was marked for kidnapping. Made just as much (non)sense. It’s the old “gang members will mark you for death by [doing some bullshit] as part of their gang initiation” urban legend but updated for the Qanon insanity.

In this case, either the numbers originally had some legit meaning (as mentioned by commenters here) that was forgotten, or someone’s just been fucking around writing numbers on cars, which will definitely be happening more now that it’s a news story.

23 Likes

I know what I’m doing this weekend.

6 Likes

2 Likes