"Odd-looking" mystery car with a red "S" eludes police in a 135mph chase

Originally published at: "Odd-looking" mystery car with a red "S" eludes police in a 135mph chase | Boing Boing

4 Likes

If that’s the artists impression of said vehicle, it’s quite clearly a late model BMW 3series.

6 Likes

Obviously this was Santa Claus, obviously. Get your AI checked.

15 Likes

When it sped past a French bistro, some patrons were heard to say “Wow, look at that S car go.”

70 Likes

From the same police blotter:

Auto theft, Skyline Drive: On July 26, police were dispatched to Skyline Drive after a resident discovered their 2021 Subaru Crosstrek overnight had been stolen from the driveway.
Later, Subaru Starling was able to located the vehicle at a Cleveland address. While the Seven Hills and Cleveland officers awaited backup, a man went into the Subaru and then left driving a black Mercedes.
Police attempted to pull him over; however, the Mercedes was traveling at a high rate of speed. The Subaru was impounded. Police are investigating.

It sounds to me like they choose not to engage in high-risk chases.

10 Likes

Maybe it’s the 2020’s reboot of The Wraith. Now with more “S”!

7 Likes

135mpg is impressive. It is reassuring that fuel efficiency is taken so seriously, even during a high speed chase.

28 Likes

It’s Ress Racer, who goes under the pseudonym Racer S. He’s Speed Racer’s (even) lesser-known brother.

8 Likes

My, that bearded guy with the big red S sure seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere.

16 Likes

Dang, 135 miles per hour, needs to up that to “blessed sister of acceleration” speed.

2 Likes

Maybe it was one of these?

12 Likes

The S stands for Sovereign, as he is a sovereign citizen, a free man on the land, does not recognize the state’s requirement that his car have such things as “license” or “registration”, and wants to know if he is being detained.

7 Likes

You’re all wrong. The driver was Sammy the Snail. He has the letter on the car so that when he whizzes by, people will say, “Wow! Look at that S car go!”

15 Likes

Hope they checked the trunk for monkeys.

5 Likes

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

tumblr_mdicrx1Yup1qedb29o1_500

1 Like

Seven Hills has a less restrictive chase policy than Cleveland, but this is the third chase they’ve called off in about the last month, I think.

3 Likes

Which suggests the cops actually understood what kind of a driver they were dealing with and chose to not pursue.

1 Like

Sounds like a straight up movie heist. Get to a safe spot after committing a crime, shave the beard, take off the hat, put the plates back on and dispose of the magnetic S on the side of the car. Now the cops aren’t looking for “you.” With lock downs and social distancing, it might be ideal too because maybe no one saw the beard grow in.

I have also been watching way to many noirs and heist films on the Criterion Channel recently.

7 Likes

Maybe the driver is a French gastrophile with a penchant for mollusk.
Look at that escargot.

5 Likes

That reminds me of this, where the crooks used self-adhesive decal coating over the original paint, and peeled it off during a car chase, IIRC.

4 Likes