"Odd-looking" mystery car with a red "S" eludes police in a 135mph chase

Elon Musk?

What, this far in and nobody has made the Escargot joke yet?

/s

13 Likes

9 Likes

Maybe it was an ‘scape goat…

4 Likes

I’ve often thought the perfect Cannonball car would be a VW Phaeton, either the W12 or the V10 diesel.

The diesel will do 500 miles on a tank (if driven relatively sensibly) and has an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. The W12, if you remove the limiter, will exceed 186 mph. Both of them, at first glance, look like a Passat…

7 Likes

This place has been madness ever since all my men have been looking for the phantom dragster. I’ve barely logged three hours of sleep in three days working off a single clue, the letter ‘S.’

“Hay Chief, Tammy and I brought you back a little something from our lunch break!”

“Thanks just set it on my desk”

I didn’t need to ask, I already knew it was escargot. One of those internet fads, here today gone tomorrow, just like that damn black car. Good stuff, those Frenchmen were on to something; I must have eaten three pounds of the stuff since this started.

Just as the now-so-familiar scent entered my nostrils, they marched a man into my office. He had a beard and was wearing a hat.

“What’s the meaning of this, I’m trying to crack a case!”

“It’s him sir, we got 'im, the Phantom Dragster. We ran his prints, the guy is totally clean. He calls himself an ‘Influencer’.”

"You’ve caused a lot of commotion here this week! All I want to know- what’s the meaning of the ‘S!’ "

“Nuthing- it don’t mean nuthin. Just a prank”

“Chief, we also found these in the glove compartment…”

It was a quarter million dollars in escargot futures. It didn’t make sense. What was the connection? I started into my snack before it got cold…

13 Likes

at odds with each other.

Do all stations carry diesel?

1 Like

OMG! I thought I was the only person to have ever seen that film! I think I might have been the only person in the cinema for that particular showing.
I did quite enjoy it at the time, but I don’t know if it would stand up well to a viewing now, though.

1 Like

William Gibson certainly thought so when he described them as company cars for Blue Ant, in his Hubertus Bigend series.

1 Like

It would, if you could get the damned thing to work reliably.

Freakier still - it’s playing on Comet RIGHT NOW. What ARE the odds?! I’m watching (just caught it, partway), and it sure does look cheesy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.