Odd Stuff (Part 2)

And the best thing is that the EU has remained neutral on this matter since it was a dispute between two member states. Now, as with Gibraltar, they no longer can. Yay!

3 Likes

https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2020/11/23/spotted-lanternfly-honey-pennsylvania/?mc_cid=8dfca04ecd&mc_eid=c07c31495a

Finally, Something Spotted Lanternflies Are Good for: Honey

According to one baker, Philadelphia Bee Co.’s new honey flavor tastes like “the epitome of autumn.”

4 Likes

The mob isn’t what it used to be.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Eh, the Philly mob never was quite in the same league as the Chicago Outfit or the Five Families.

That’s comforting for those who had to deal with them. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like
7 Likes

Social isolation creates craving in the same brain region as wanting food or addictive drugs, study finds

Cravings for social interactions affect the same area of the brain hit by hunger pangs after a long absence of nosh, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found.

6 Likes

Alibaba chief says China’s new internet laws aren’t just good, they’re right and welcome and necessary

Imagine if Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Google supremo Sundar Pichai or Like-seeker-in-chief Mark Zuckerberg gave a major speech that heartily endorsed new government regulations - even though they make business harder - and argued they’re necessary, timely, and just.

[…]

Zhang’s remarks come after Beijing used new finance industry regulations to effectively veto the IPO of Alibaba’s finance arm, Ant Group. The decision to stop the float has been interpreted as both a sign that Beijing is concerned about the impact of some loans that Ant facilitates and a display of power aimed at showing Alibaba who’s boss. Zhang praising regulation is therefore notable.

1 Like
2 Likes

I mean it’s not cranking your hog or anything, but …

Makes me think of this:

2 Likes

The politics of geometry (or is it the other way around?)

I caught part of the program last night. There was a interesting bit about how the French Sun King expressed “The state? I am the state!” in the geometry of his gardens, and as a result English gardens deliberately chose contrary formats. (Things people would do before Internet memes were invented!)

With that investment of order in geometry, I can see why Lovecraft had such a loathing dread of non-Euclidean geometry. (It’s not like a triangle with three right-angles is inherently horrible.)

2 Likes

Cambridgeshire Policeman sacked for stealing doughnuts:

8 Likes
5 Likes

Just look at it. Just look at it not being outside.

15 Likes

Bread authorization servers down: nation starves.

11 Likes
11 Likes

That’s fugging disappointing

13 Likes
6 Likes

Retired engineer confesses to role in sliding Microsoft Bob onto millions of XP install CDs

One anniversary unlikely to be marked within the bowels of Redmond is that of Microsoft Bob. However, a retired engineer has taken to YouTube to confirm that the unloved interface did indeed enjoy a second life as digital ballast for Windows XP.

1 Like