Odd Stuff (Part 2)

I wanted to make sure I didn’t poo(h)-poo(h) your news report, though.

1 Like

A 29-year-old man alleged to have been part of a group that blew up at least 15 cash machines in Germany managed to kill himself and injure an associate last year while filming a video tutorial on how to blow up ATMs, according to European authorities.

Europol in a statement this week said the Dutch and German police had arrested a total of nine suspects over the course of an 18-month investigation that concluded earlier this week.

[…]

15 Likes

Netflix should cover bandwidth and maintenance costs of a surge in our network traffic, says South Korean ISP SK Broadband, which has taken legal action after subscribers flocked to watch the streaming giant’s latest Korean-language TV show Squid Game.

SK Broadband is unhappy that the flow of packets through its systems repeatedly spikes in size as more and more folks in South Korea fire up Netflix. We’re talking 1.2Tbps of Netflix traffic alone through the ISP in September, a claim by SK reported by Reuters.

[…]

9 Likes
7 Likes

Pay attention, I will do it just one time.

3 Likes

Reminded me of the pottery recording theory

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/10/episode_62_killer_cable_snaps.html

Pottery Record (Archaeoacoustics)

Myth: Scientists have been able to play back sounds inadvertently recorded onto ancient pottery

Myth Variant: On an episode of CSI , the investigators are able to retrieve a recording from a piece of pottery at the crime scene.

This myth may be based on this blog post: A phonograpic phony. The post discredits a Belgian video clip that claims to have made recordings from 6500-year-old pottery.

9 Likes

It could be worse.

6 Likes

Solar orgasms!

9 Likes

They cause sunspots, right?

4 Likes

Damn. There’s a lot of skin cancer in the family.

5 Likes

I guess it’s all good cuz the gummy bears would ease that pain?

2 Likes

umm…
so β€œstick it where the sun doesn’t [usually] shine” is good.
I find no fault in the logic, just sayin’.

4 Likes
4 Likes

8 Likes
15 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: β€œThis is the Panama Papers on steroids”

Sounds good. Hope they check for nanofibers in the water, and their long term effects.

7 Likes

it does sound good! especially if it can be scaled to residential use (unlikely, but a guy can dream). living on an island with no source of reliable fresh water (rain catchment isn’t consistently reliable as a main source for garden and house) and with things rapidly deteriorating, how long can we truly rely on fresh water piped in from the mainland?
I am by no means an β€œend times prepper”, but having a steady supply of filtered salt-free seawater would ease my mind a lot.

11 Likes

There are lots of people in the world who could use a working system now for drinking water, if it was cheap enough.

This might work, unlike those schemes which condense water out of the air, while ignoring thermodynamics. (Hey, I keep hoping someone will find a clever way to game the system, but there’s no getting around that you have to dispose of a fuckton of energy to condense water.)

3 Likes
14 Likes