Odd Stuff (Part 2)

The book cites media reports that three quarters of five- to twelve-year-olds in the United Kingdom now spend less time outdoors than prison inmates, and one suspects statistics in the United States are little different. Jones also reminds us that:

in 2007, the words “acorn” and “buttercup” were taken out of the Oxford Children’s Dictionary, in favor of words like “broadband” and “cut and paste” to reflect changing usage of the language. “Hamster,” “heron,” “herring,” “kingfisher,” “lark,” “leopard,” “lobster,” “magpie,” “minnow,” “mussel,” “newt,” “otter,” “ox,” “oyster” and “panther” were also deemed archaic and removed.

10 Likes

What the fuck!?!

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

10 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

25-year-old asshole with a suspended license and prior drunk driving and drug convictions.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Those Duke boys are dead.

9 Likes

I don’t have enough interest to click through, but it seems to me that “assholes” should also include the cops who made light of and encouraged that kind of shit by posting that video with that theme music.

10 Likes

“I don’t believe it. It’s that shitbox Dodge again.”

3 Likes

You might be pleased to know the article author makes the point that posting the video that way was “a completely unprofessional way to communicate the dangers of driving while intoxicated.”

Not quite calling them assholes, but I doubt the OP could use that word, well-deserved as it was.

5 Likes

ARREST DRIVER. IMPOUND VEHICLE.

5 Likes

So people are now taking their Wordle results. Which look like this:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
And recreating them in Townscaper. Which results in this:

This has resulted in Wordle2Townscaper a tool by Tarmo Annus for converting your Wordle into Townscaper. Do with this information what you will.

10 Likes

Not Brian Setzer.

12 Likes

Old School Yes GIF

7 Likes

Epoch-alypse now: BBC iPlayer flaunts 2038 cutoff date, gives infrastructure game away

Feeling old yet? Let the Reg ruin your day for you. We are now substantially closer to the 2038 problem (5,849 days) than it has been since the Year 2000 problem (yep, 8,049 days since Y2K).

Why do we mention it? Well, thanks to keen-eyed Reg reader Calum Morrison, we’ve spotted a bit of the former, and a hint of what lies beneath the Beeb’s digital presence, when he sent in a snapshot that implies Old Auntie might be using a 32-bit Linux in iPlayer, and something with a kernel older than Linux 5.10, too.

[…]

4 Likes
4 Likes

I just like the headline:

Todd held it as he finished telling his Tulsa megachurch congregation that Jesus Christ had rubbed his own saliva on a blind man’s eyes to miraculously give him sight.

He held it in one hand as he used the other to touch the shoulder of a man standing beside him with his eyes closed.

“God’s saying, ‘Can you physically and spiritually and emotionally … stand when getting the vision or receiving it might get nasty?’” Todd asked.

Then, the pastor of Transformation Church rubbed his hands together, turned to the man and smeared his spit across the man’s face.
[…]
Todd has since apologized on Twitter and Facebook, calling his actions “disgusting” and saying they “crossed the line.” Todd said he’s passionate about giving people hope, “so much so that I try to do extreme things.”

“That was a distraction to what I was really trying to do,” he said in a video message. “I was really trying to make the Word come alive and for people to see the story. But yesterday it got too live, and I own that.”

ETA: added key quotes.

9 Likes

I can’t read the article, but was he trying to cure blindness, a la Jesus?

7 Likes
9 Likes

11 Likes

Aside from the gross factor, everyone involved should hope he didn’t just cause an infection. Does this pastor think he can cure COVID, too? Because it seems like a really dumb way to spread disease, :eyes: when most of us are trying to keep our saliva to ourselves. :mask:

8 Likes

You’ll get some exercise wearing that on your ring finger.

7 Likes