Odd Stuff (Part 2)

Radio Frequency fingerprinting of aircraft ADS-B transmitters? Boffins reckon they’ve cracked it

A group of academics reckon they’ve found a way to uniquely fingerprint aeroplanes’ Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) tracking transmitters – though an aviation infosec boffin says more research is needed to verify the new technique.

4 Likes

European Commission to take a closer look at how Amazon uses business data of third-party sellers using its platform

After a year of gentle probing, the European Commission has fired off a Statement of Objections to Amazon about the way it accesses sales data generated by third parties on its online marketplace.

4 Likes

Tim Berners-Lee asks everyone to do new biz a Solid and let him have another crack at fixing the Web’s privacy

Inventor of the world wide web, Tim Berners-Lee, is having another crack at fixing the internet’s biggest problems with the launch of a new enterprise server.

The Inrupt Enterprise Solid Server is the first product from a company the inventor started two years ago in response to the problem of personal data online, where tech giants like Facebook and Google build vast databases on user’s profiles and sell them to advertisers to make massive profits.

5 Likes

Scary. I saw this story during the summer:

8 Likes

Jon Rahm skips in water shot for hole-in-one you’ll watch over and over & still not believe

Yup. Amazing. And then some.

7 Likes

My 250,000-Mile Chrysler Minivan’s First Test Since The German Inspection Was A 500-Mile Trek To Belgium

Subversive cross stitch is a very real and wonderful thing.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Pittsburgh has a war on porta potty’s

Pittsburgh Police Investigating After Portable Toilet Destroyed By Explosive Device

Police are investigating whether this porta potty explosion is related to other recent cases.

12 Likes

18 Likes

Making unpalatable food palatable seems quite war-timey to me.

18 Likes

one company got a contract to provide potato products for the union army. they took sliced potatoes, coated them in cayenne powder, the dehydrated them. the product was called “dessicated potatoes” and because the product was awful in pretty much every way and in every application the troops took to calling them “desecrated” potatoes. so

yeah.

9 Likes
9 Likes

A slab of dead animal flesh? Yes, I guess so. It’d take a lot more than any kind of sauce to make that palatable to me.

3 Likes

A new Pilson’s Feedbag Dinner!

2 Likes

Yep, I love dead animal. Even though I no longer eat it I still love it.

3 Likes

500 signals harvested from all five aircraft

Hm? How do you train an AI with that few samples?

3 Likes

So they’re establishing the Pittsburgh Police Porta-Potty Patrol Platoon?

6 Likes
8 Likes