Odd Stuff (Part 2)

snl-fred-armisen-joy-behar-who-cares

1 Like

I think it’s good news.

1 Like

Agreed. But they need to shut their whinging. If they can’t figure out a more environmentally sustainable path moving forward, they should go the way of other obsolete companies… Insert something about buggy whip makers here.

4 Likes

Xochitl Torres-Small (D) lost her house seat to Yvette Herrell ® in the NM 2nd congressional district largely on the basis of concerns for the oil industry. Torres-Small is a consistent Democrat and her presence in the house the last two years was a big relief after she defeated god-awful Freedom Caucus member Steven Pierce. I wish that she had done a better job of articulating a coherent policy of replacing the oil jobs of eastern NM during the election cycle and simply ignoring the problems of Big Oil does not seem like a great political strategy at least in southern New Mexico.

The Green New Deal is the way to go here but it needs to be sold to the people it will most effect in terms of jobs.

2 Likes

I’m aware. It’s not my point, though.

1 Like

“They sent in the giant robot wolves to get rid of the bears. Who could think anything would go wrong?” – Found scratched into a barren rock on an uninhabited planet.

13 Likes

Halt don’t catch fire: Amazon recalls hundreds of thousands of Ring doorbells over exploding battery fears

Amazon’s home security brand Ring is recalling roughly 360,000 of its Wi-Fi enabled video doorbells over concerns they may catch fire when incorrectly installed.

The recall affects Ring’s second-generation video doorbell, with the defect appearing on units sold in the US and Canada between June and October of this year with the model number 5UM5E5.

8 Likes

Try to avoid thinking of the internet as a flashy new battlefield, warns former NCSC chief

The former head of the National Cyber Security Centre has warned that some British government figures have a “profound lack of understanding” of cyberspace, online warfare and information security.

Ciaran Martin, who stepped down as NCSC chief earlier this year, also cautioned policymakers against seeing the online world as a place for warfare, saying: “We militarise the internet at our peril.”

3 Likes

18 Likes

I can’t help seeing a Picasso inspired woman’s head. A badly executed one, but still…

8 Likes
5 Likes

When sci-fact beats sci-fi: Echoes of exploding stars’ final cries may be trapped in the rings of trees on Earth

Astronomers seeking to chart the history of supernovas that once lit up our skies and flooded our planet with radiation ought to take a look at tree rings, it’s been suggested.

Robert Brakenridge, a geoscientist at the University of Colorado Boulder’s Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, reckons stars exploding relatively close to Earth may have left fingerprints in our forests and jungles, which could be used to build a timeline of epic eruptions.
[…]
The study’s sample size of four is small, and so you may not want to jump to conclusions, though Brakenridge is hopeful the dating technique can be used in the future. “My paper only starts this process, it proposes strong candidates for specific known supernova events and known carbon-14 anomalies,” he told us.

8 Likes

FYI: Alibaba Cloud says it has robot sysadmins that swap faulty disks in four minutes

Nice video (shame about the song).

2 Likes

Johnny Cash tried to warn us, but we didn’t listen.

4 Likes

I wish people would stop trying to make flying cars happen. It’s… not going to happen and if it could, it’s no a great idea.

7 Likes

And it’s just an electric flying jet with a pilot, marketing itself as a shared Uber flight. Doesn’t sound anything like flying cars à la Jetsons.

2 Likes

the traffic flow in the fifth element really captures for me what that would be like.

starting at around 23 seconds in:

7 Likes

4 Likes

China compromised F-35 subcontractor and forced expensive software system rewrite, academic tells MPs

The F-35 fighter jet programme’s costs were inflated after China compromised a software vendor in Lockheed Martin’s supply chain, forcing a ground-up rewrite of a potentially affected system, a policy wonk has claimed to UK Parliament.

While giving evidence to a Defence Committee hearing on cyber threats to the British military, American academic Dr James Lewis claimed China had compromised a subcontractor working on the supersonic stealth jet project and potentially infected software destined for installation aboard the jet.

8 Likes