Odd Stuff (Part 2)

30 years ago stereotypes about Sámi were much much worse. Drunken, greedy criminals. If you want to see some really horrible shit Google “Nunnuka-nunnuka-lai-lai” you will find “sketches” from a show on Finland’s national public broadcasting company.

They also made similar “sketches” about Romani.

8 Likes

Three months later…

missouri western fall GIF by Missouri Western State University

19 Likes

Oh! Very odd, indeed! (The top photo, not so much the bottom photo – although they go well together and it got a laugh from me.)

4 Likes

I watched some news segments about these chicks and from what I understand, this type of deformity is not very rare, but it mostly occurs in animals raised caged on farms and not in free-range chickens.

7 Likes

Oh. That sounds sad. Poor little guys. I hope the other chicks are nice to them. :pleading_face:

7 Likes

One of the news that I read says that the owner of the farm got 79 chicks at once and only one of them was born that way. The vets said the poor thing was going to die soon and it would be better to put him to sleep. The farmer had pitty for the bird, "I will not do that. If he was born, I will take care, ensure that he grows up and becomes the mascot of our farm ” says the owner of the farm, Mr. Lima, as he saw that the little one was walking around without difficulty and eating normally, he decided to raise him in the yard like the others.

Unfortunately the newspaper did not return to Mr. Lima’s property to see what happened to the chick. But my quick research shown several cases of four legged chicks that survived and even had babies.

9 Likes

I had a random thought, and this seems as good a place as any to explore it.

We’ve all seen the retro sort of future that was predicted in media from the 70s and 80s, right? It’s usually based on an idea of Japan, filtered through a north American lens, interacting with an idea of America filtered through a Japanese lens. It’s a 1980s version of the future, that crops up a lot in media from that era and since.

So here’s a thought- it’s very possible to imagine a different futuristic aesthetic taking hold, and the alternative scenario that I’m thinking of is what if the vision of the future was the French one:

Let me just throw out a few links to what that could look like-

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.rbl.ms%2F8644706%2F980x.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Feuanmearns.com%2Fthe-french-nuclear-crisis-did-europe-dodge-a-bullet%2F&docid=SgCMJb1e6TSTTM&tbnid=dOQ7bUYBgyOLqM&vet=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

And for the obvious soundtrack to this early 80s French version of the future

So- the obvious question: has anyone already based their work in this retro-future with French characteristics? And what sort of stories could be set in this alternative futuristic setting?

13 Likes

This may be one answer to that question.

11 Likes

I was shocked that I had only seen like 2 of the films on this list.

7 Likes

Would venture The Fifth Element fits that to a reasonable degree - as well as the related Moebius oeuvre overall.

Fun idea - could imagine a Latin American version à la Cybersyn :

7 Likes

all i’ve seen, or even heard of, was the stuff.

1 Like

72p, not 720p.

1 Like
6 Likes

And here I was thinking he had some mounts drilled into his forehead…

3 Likes

“Cannibal! The Musical” was pretty shpadoinkle.

:musical_note: Stick your hand down a crack and you won’t get it back, that’s a moray! :musical_note:

2 Likes

Ewwwww.

If Uzi’s not careful he could develop a keloid, which is an overgrowth of scar tissue that looks like if an alien worm was eating you alive from the inside. (Do a Google image search if you dare.)

2 Likes

Didn’t anyone see the last Avengers movie? The Vision flat out died when Thanos ripped the gem out of his forehead. Lil UV better beware!

1 Like

22 Likes

Depends on if he’s prone to them, though. If he’s not, it would heal like any other wound.

3 Likes