Odd Stuff (Part 2)

2 Likes

Citibank accidentally wired $500m back to lenders in user-interface super-gaffe – and judge says it can’t be undone

8 Likes

23 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes

:flushed::slightly_smiling_face::snowman:

21 Likes

British govt emits fuzzy vision for UK version of American boffin special forces group Darpa

What’s that, Lassie? Dogs show signs of self-awareness according to peer-reviewed academic study?

8 Likes

Half and Half

14 Likes

Neat! This “leucistic” songbird, suspected to be a black-capped chickadee, has been spotted recently in Warren, Maine:

Source:

16 Likes

animation arises GIF

7 Likes

see also:

2 Likes

Guess I’ll put this here. For some reason, after reading this, my brain said “my ass is being bitten by a bear RIGHT NOW!” and I couldn’t stop giggling for 15 minutes.

6 Likes

Now in addition to boneless, bananas come in a self-peeling variety.

Just look at them!

17 Likes

Well, this is a hot dumpster fire of an article blaming gen X for the current toxic political environment…

13 Likes

The only saving grace, I guess, is that the author let me know right up front that it was going to be garbage, when he included this in the very first paragraph:

we’ve been marching in place for some 30 years with no tangible resolution to speak of.

It reminded me eerily of a recent conversation on another thread about how “all the demonstrating and political activism isn’t making any difference.

I’ve seen huge changes, both personally and in our larger culture, in the last 30 years. Not enough, of course, but to pretend like it’s nothing is just false and defeatist.

15 Likes

Another thing, he’s ignoring that there was an enormous push to get things like African American studies, women’s studies, queer studies, and the like during the 80s and 90s, when many (you guessed it) gen Xers were in college and were advocating for it!

He seems to believe that gen xers were the ones on the front lines of the culture wars on the anti-PC side, and while some were, most of that was being waged by our parents and grand parents… We’ve never had much of the lion’s share of cultural capital in all of this.

17 Likes

I was taught about the dangers of climate change in math class in the early 1970’s. 50 years, not 30.

Gen X was born into this. Talk about blaming the victim.

15 Likes

Exactly, and he makes as though the current push to transition away from these niche studies and begin to incorporate these studies into the broader, generic “history” or “social studies” is somehow a bad thing, and not the natural maturation of the process. It reads as though he was given a thesis and tasked with crafting a narrative to support it, regardless of facts.

8 Likes

Maybe his older gen x siblings or cousins never made him a mixed tape, and he’s still salty about it!

14 Likes