Odd Stuff (Part 2)

Paglia and her descendants have fashioned themselves as brave radicals who are saying what a suppressive culture has other people too scared to say.

Paglia is a fucking baby boomer.
yeah, some of gen x was anti pc, they were called “rush limbaugh listeners.”
the reason the X progressives couldn’t make any headway (although we did anyway, to some degree) is because nobody listens to generation x. true then, true now.

11 Likes

Fucking EXACTLY! So were most of the politicians he’s complaining about! He mentions Andrew Sullivan, who I guess is on the borderline. He mentions Douglas Copeland, too, another boomer pontificating about Gen X.

But mostly he whinges about how we are the MTV generation and that “punk morphed into grunge” (as if there didn’t continue to be a thriving underground of punk and postpunk music right through to today) and that we’re all just sarcastic slackers. It’s like he read all the things that older people were saying about gen x at the time, and just accepted it at face value. That’s bad historying if you ask me.

GAH!

winona ryder heathers GIF

12 Likes

i grew up as part of the early gen-x cohort in rural texas. i’ve seen all the different gradients of bashing but i’ve always been about the farthest left in the room (although there was one party at college i went to where there were a couple of actual maoist/shining path apologists . . . i imagine they would have considered lgbtq issues as bourgeois neuroses). since i’ve been teaching high school a few years i’ve seen divergences that are odd but unsurprising. i’ve seen students who bash trans so hard i’ve had to get them to drop it in front of me who turn around and have a friend who is publicly out as trans. it goes back to the theory of small towns i have that eccentricities you grow up with become accepted while those from elsewhere get beatdown. my high school persona was such that it protected me. if i had moved somewhere else i’d have been a serious bully magnet.

what i’m getting at is that while i think the current generation is probably a little more accepting of difference than prior gens, it’s still hit and miss.

edited for spelling

11 Likes

20 Likes

The Rock Nbc GIF by The Titan Games

1 Like

I found a Youtube video browsing ambient music and fell down a rabbit hole. I wasn’t aware that all the young folks are shifting to alternate realities at will these days:

I, for one, have no urge to go to Hogwarts. That’s a effed up place right there.

How long before this gets hijacked and turns into some political conspiracy?

Edit: I wasn’t going to but I have to just say it. WTF is up with people falling in love with Draco Malfoy? You can shift to any possible universe in an infinite number of possible universes, and you want to make out with DRACO MALFOY. Basically the Barney Fife of Slytherin house. WTF y’all.

6 Likes

Rorshach photo?

What do you think he’s doing?

My first thought was Wow, that’s a crazy place to hide your stash!

9 Likes

I’m guessing he’s fixing something on the unit…

But… yikes!

saturday night live snl GIF by HULU

11 Likes

Or maybe even installing it? It doesn’t look like they come standard with every unit, and those ropes hanging off it might’ve been used to lower it into place.

And I see your “Yikes,” and raise you a “Holy Crap!!!”

6 Likes
5 Likes

Expected Piranesi; got lucid dreaming.

2 Likes

19 Likes

Myth Swag

3 Likes

another…

23 Likes

With a heavy dose of solipsism. There’s a big thread of “if someone doesn’t want to do what you want to do, shift to the reality where they do” running through the whole scene. I have to wonder how that affects the thinking of people who believe in this stuff. The world appears, to me, to exist to serve their whims.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s a little frightening, the aryan theme…

4 Likes
10 Likes

Awww, I want to see the rest of it!

4 Likes
11 Likes

Thank you!!!

7 Likes