Odd Stuff (Part 2)

They’re cloning the Pope!

5 Likes

IKEA__Accidentally summoning The Old Ones

17 Likes

I still say that there is a good chance that the whole F-35 fleet could be put out of action world wide by hacking the logistics system, be it ALIS, ALIS Next, ODIN, or whatever Lockheed Martin & friends come up in the future.
Execpt maybe replacing it with seasoned NCOs equipped with phones and microfiches.

(Link won’t onebox properly.)
www.aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/pentagon-rethinks-troubled-f-35-logistics-system

5 Likes

on the other hand, since the israelis are allowed access to the coding and systems of the f-35, unlike every other country that buys them, theirs might keep on working-- https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37579/israels-specially-built-f-35i-test-jet-just-touched-down-in-country

1 Like

Colour me doubtful:

A) From the article you linked to:
However, the air force [IAF] also admits that incorporating indigenous systems in the F-35I will not be as easy as with previous-generation aircraft, thanks to the Joint Strike Fighter’s closely guarded software codes.
“In the “Adir” program, the IAF doesn’t have access to everything, and cannot fully intervene,” explained Lieutenant Colonel Y, commander of the FTC Squadron. Nevertheless, Lieutenant Colonel Y added that “The experimental F-35I will act as the main building block for acquiring new flight capabilities and allow for independent installation of munitions.”

B) There is no indication so far that the IAF won’t use ALIS.
The way ALIS is an integrated part of operating the F-35 there is probably no way to ditch it completely. My guess is that the IAF will use their own additional software; especially for handling the bits about their own weapons, avionics and com systems that they don’t want the other kids to know about. The F-35 is also sold to countries that aren’t exactly bosom buddies of Israel. Integrating that with ALIS in a secure and meaningful way will be tricky, though.

(Not that any air force that buys the F-35 won’t try to look under the hood, so to speak, and reverse-engineer code. To improve it, of course.)

2 Likes

Something for the Weekend, Sir?

[Checks meeting agenda…] Where does it say ‘Talk cr*p and waste everyone’s time?

Alistair Dabbs is a freelance technology tart, juggling tech journalism, training and digital publishing. He has found another advantage of disabling the webcam during a meeting: it means you can stop listening to the time-wasting stream-of-arseishness from fellow participants and attend another meeting before the first one has finished, using another device. He says this will get easier once Disney finishes his robot.

BOFH: You might want to sit down for this. Oh, right, you can’t. Listen carefully: THIS IS NOT AN IT PROBLEM!

3 Likes

16 Likes

I was just coming here to post that! I really liked the matter-of-fact MTA response, that’s what really sells it.

11 Likes

I love how nobody seems to care…

10 Likes

One of my favorite things about NYC. As long as you’re not bothering anybody else, even the strangest antics are shrug-worthy. “Meh, just a guy in a rat costume. At least he’s wearing gloves while touching that subway floor.”

12 Likes
2 Likes
7 Likes

Amazon accidentally reunifies Ireland via Twitter.

The reaction is… predictable.

15 Likes

I had thought that it must be a parody account, but no. Wow

4 Likes

Meow, meow = I am your master. Bow before me and fetch me my catnip.

10 Likes
3 Likes

Look for it, look for it…

14 Likes

Meow meow meow = I present to you my asshole. You may commence to scratching my butt.

5 Likes

Undercover Treebeards…

15 Likes

That rat looks suspiciously small for NYC.

4 Likes