Odd Stuff (Part 3)

Today’s Ironic headline:

17 Likes
13 Likes

The insurance won’t cover acts of god?

12 Likes

There is an old Jaffa saying, General Hammond: ‘They do not build them as they once did.’"

Teal’c, Stargate SG-1

13 Likes

8 Likes

Discussed previously on BoingBoing:

It seems they settled:

6 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

That is exceptionally stupid. Are they also going to insist that Spain and Portugal change all of their tracks, infrastructure, and rolling stock to standard gauge as well?

1 Like
1 Like

Her website is a fabulous journey into the fantastical via her shows, her work, and her process. For some reason her site will not one-box. Truly odd and beautiful work that will amaze and inspire you.

3 Likes

Kyle Hill takes waifus way too seriously

2 Likes

Not sure if this is “odd” because of what’s happening, “good” because people are bringing music into peoples’ lives in whatever way they can, or “fuck today” because this could be one more way to make people suspicious of street performers and the unhomed in general. But I applaud these folks for their creativity. The headline is misleading, in this article police say nothing about it being a “nationwide issue.”

4 Likes

Not the cops, it’s what the news reporter said in the video when he came up with examples from other states like Michigan.

ETA: It’s a perennial issue in the San Diego/Tijuana area, with a lot of folks not representing themselves honestly in some way or another. In the queue to enter the US, there are a couple of guys who have spent a lot of time and effort to make their legs extremely flexible, picked up some orthopedic canes, and pretend to be disabled to seek donations.
I only know about it because I saw one of them walking back home one day, having been blessed with a miracle.

4 Likes

Obligatory…

Once outside of my local target, there was a guy playing an accordian… he was very good.

2 Likes

Yeah, and there’s the panning with the Fb post from the cops. This has all the scare elements: Homeless! Immigrants! Begging!

So, i’ll concede that there’s a cop Fb claiming it’s a nationwide issue. But I guess I’m not sure the “issue.” Someone is pretending to play music and asking for money. Is this supposed to be like the guy who follows you into the gas station asking for $20 because his car is out of gas? This just feels like scaremongering to me.

ETA:

Chicle! Chicle! Sure. The path from the border to Revolucion was full of moms holding babies and selling chicle, and people who were supposedly disabled in some way. The first time I took some out-of-towners on the walk to Revolucion (in the 1980s before the rebuilding and upgrades) they almost gave everything away before they got 100 yards.

3 Likes

I have a lot of experience with it, but I don’t have any issue with the moms and folks who are actually selling goods. When I lived in Gainesville, Florida, freshman college students from UF would get hoodwinked on a regular basis by folks waiting near the bank ATMs claiming car trouble/out of gas, or some other sob story.

We had this elderly gentleman by the name of “Cool Breeze” who would often come through and hand out joke “citations”, for things like “being too beautiful” or some such thing, but he was engaging and entertaining so it wasn’t really a scam if you gave him a handout.
(He had the really good 'shrooms, too. He gave me some once that had me laughing and giggling for an hour, nonstop.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

It is a truth universally acknowledged that if you build something on the internet, people will find ways to creatively break it. This is exactly what happened with cohost, a new social media platform that allows posts with CSS. Digging through the #interactables hashtag on cohost reveals a bounty of clickable, CSS-enabled experiments that go far beyond GIFs — there’s a WarioWare mug-catching game, an interactive Habbo tribute, magnetic fridge poetry, this absolutely bananas cog machine, and even a “playable” Game Boy Color (which was, at one point, used for a “GIF plays Pokémon” event). Yes, there’s also Doom.

The cohost team embraced the madness. It was the beginning of a creative avalanche that simply isn’t possible on other social media sites — a phenomenon that the cohost community has since dubbed “CSS crimes.”

2 Likes