Odd Stuff (Part 4)

Amon!

ezgif-4-b95813f7d9

7 Likes

I hope they are able to settle in soon! This is a perfect gift for several people I know

4 Likes

There’s a reason why queer folks are turning to online spaces like Snapchat and Tumblr

As my once-beloved Twitterverse crumbles around me—even the name “Twitter” lopped down to “er” before finishing its metamorphosis into the nondescript X—the push to new platforms continues. Personally, I’ve joined the throngs of users seeking a new social media home. While Meta’s Threads left me confused, no one I know has yet to migrate to Mastodon, and when it comes to Bluesky, well … I’m still waiting to be let in.

Through the shifting social media landscape, I’ve found the renewed interest in older platforms—platforms that I’d relegated to my own digital past—to be strangely comforting. I’m not the only one. Writing for Yahoo! Finance, for instance, journalist Samantha Delouya observed that there’s a correlation between Musk’s Twitter takeover and user growth for the microblogging service Tumblr. Erin Griffith noted similar trends for the photo and video-sharing platform Snapchat in an article for the New York Times.

The really interesting thing about this growth is that it’s largely a result of young users joining these platforms even while older ones are aging out and moving on. According to a Pew Research Center study, 59 percent of teens commonly use Snapchat. Tumblr reported similar numbers, stating that 48 percent of its currently active users are Gen Z.

Why, as so many platforms reach for larger and larger audiences, do these apps continue to attract the same window of users—resisting the move to age up with their user base? Queer theory offers one answer, as it seems that some social media sites grow up while others grow sideways.

7 Likes

Waning, x-ray of bodily damage resulting from sitting a bad way in a moving vehicle…

4 Likes

oh, jeebus! that needs a spoiler blur…
that is horrendous!
~ says the guy who had his right leg mangled all to hell.
ETA: thank you!

11 Likes
4 Likes

Sorry! It’s a good reminder, but I did wonder if I should blur it.

:+1:

8 Likes

Ah, out-of-position injuries…

4 Likes

7 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes

Large drop in wine drinking in Europe

5 Likes

“It’s called history, sweaty.”
I’m gonna start using that one.

9 Likes

6 Likes

“I was tempted to reply saying, ‘Yeah, we’ve got a whole warehouse full of demonic items,’” he said. “But now no, I will never ever ever do it again. I don’t want any more hassle. I’m going to unplug my phone now.”

4 Likes

alreadygotone-montypython

ikea warehouse GIF

9 Likes
8 Likes

“Palomar, mi Palomar!”
that is my very most favoritest series of stories and characters of all time! love, love, love every single panel and have pored over the details time and again.
my heart was broken at Tonantzin’s death i cried. still hurts.
god bless Los Bros!

6 Likes

“without the big payday”

Why the fuck is there not, in this day and age, a Love and Rockets animated series made for grownups? It seems like just about the lowest hanging fruit that a streaming service could go for

6 Likes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/comicmix/nucleus-the-legendary-mark-wheatley-art-book-is-back

7 Likes

Did the airliner pass through a strange region of space?

5 Likes