Odd Stuff (Part 4)

Old school.
I like it.
computer nice

2 Likes

I’ve been tempted to redirect hackers to NSA, so you might want to try that. Maybe they’ll get a talking to.

4 Likes

I hope it can’t be hacked.

5 Likes

Somebody will find a way

6 Likes
4 Likes

If you want to switch things up a bit and eat the leopard’s face.

10 Likes
1 Like

13 Likes

My questions touched on everything from formatting conventions to word choice, use of case law, treatment of facts, and strategies for persuasion.

1. Use the Oxford comma.

56% prefer the Oxford comma
21% prefer no Oxford comma
23% don’t care

I immediately thought of the opening line of this song

It seems the answer is, judges.

11 Likes

Nuh-uh, super dense ice forms in your anus, not mine.

(Sorry/Not Sorry :laughing:)

3 Likes

Eat only high fiber ice; sez I.

6 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Non-paywall link. Onebox doesn’t reflect actual content

6 Likes

8 Likes

You got to side eye just a bit whenever the word “glory” is used in such contexts

Technology is the glory of human ambition and achievement, the spearhead of progress, and the realization of our potential.

For hundreds of years, we properly glorified this – until recently.

Sure Jan GIF

Anyway, this whole article is kind of full of shit.

11 Likes

Techno-Optimists believe that societies, like sharks, grow or die.

This is my favorite line from that piece. Because the idea of grow or die is inherently confusing, but we can explain it by comparing to the growth rates of elasmobranch fishes, something everyone is intimately familiar with. Except
from what little I know about that, I don’t think they actually do perish from not growing? I know lots of other fish can even pause their growth, they just don’t stop at a particular size the way people do.

But whatever, it’s just a helpful analogy, the real point is
well, I don’t know. Societies. Sharks. Invest in free markets and don’t worry about the destruction of the natural world we all rely on. It’ll all turn out so long as we continue to innovate. Heck, when was the last time you heard anyone say anything positive about an evolutionary conservative group? Oh right, sharks, just now. :thinking:

9 Likes

Exactly. They’re blindly advocating for growth in the belief that “technology” will save us. It’s just warmed over pro-capitalism and anti-communism, that ignores history and reality. We don’t need “growth” to be successful as a species. We’re already wildly successful as a species
 They’re hand-wringing over de-population when there are literally 8 billion of us on this stupid rock. They might as well just come out and say they’re concerned about “white people being outbred” because that is pretty much the places where population is “shrinking”

god, I fucking hate this stupid timeline

12 Likes