5 Likes

It was a fun little game!

2 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.vebeg.de/en/start/index.htm

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/115cpv2/discussing_wages_is_a_workers_right_do_better_lmg/

3 Likes

Yeah, I heard the news that he was attacking the statue of a sculptor (and strangely enough, never heard the word Gill, and thereā€™s a lot to unpack there), and it clicked into place.

3 Likes

from

9 Likes

Probably because CD players are complicated and expensive mechanical devices that take up a lot of physical space. In the mind of auto manufacturers, USB and Bluetooth can give you much more value for much less physical space. Also, AM radio can be easily integrated into all the existing electronics for ā€œfreeā€.

AM radios are so electrically simple that an amateur hobbyist can easily build one with just a few passive electronics. FM by comparison is much more complicated. (And satellite exponentially so.) AM is great for emergency communication because it has really good range. Its signals can bounce around the atmosphere and travel much further than FM. But AM quality sucks and is much more susceptible to interference which is why FM is preferred for music or anything else where higher fidelity is desirable.

Itā€™s kind of funny, though. Rightoids complain that removing AM radio is ā€œsilencing conservative voicesā€ as thereā€™s so much right-wing talk radio (if anything AM talk radio gave it a second life). However, AM is also big for Spanish language radio which puts the rightoids in an interesting position where they are trying to defend something thatā€™s both good for them and the much vilified brown community, and also complaining about the free market doing itā€™s thing which is kind of a supposed conservative value.

It all makes me wonder why bother removing it? It has utility, and itā€™s cheap if not free to have because the hardware likely already supports it. Iā€™d bet they arenā€™t even removing the electronics that allow it, they are just removing it in the software which is a dick move.

4 Likes

My BF made this screengrab:
IMG_5237
as have countless others, and who could blame 'em?

He sent it to me, and I just now replied with this:
Kirk weirdest

3 Likes

FYIā€¦ for all your star trekkinā€™ needsā€¦

7 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes
4 Likes

As someone who spent my 20s and 30s mountaineering and spent a lot of time sleeping on glaciers, I think sheā€™d be warmer if she skipped the cot and used a good down bag on a insulated sleeping pad. Snow and ice is often warmer that the cold air around you. Of course, I never took a gas heater along on trips.
Rating for this video: car camping poseur.

4 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

Architectural models of ā€œThe Lineā€ presented at the Venice Architectural Biennale:

via Dezeen

6 Likes

Or if sheā€™d brought a whole lot less stuff, and just slept in a cozy nook in the back of the jeep. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the 2023 WOW list from Architectural Digest:

6 Likes