Odd Stuff (Part 5)

His book on the history of Toronto punk is great…

6 Likes
4 Likes

The Moshumentary | A man must right his wrongs in order to come out of mosh retirement

4 Likes

Alison Brie What GIF

9 Likes
6 Likes

You can see one in operation in the third Harry Palmer film:

(There may be something about this in the Nukes thread as well.)

9 Likes

16 Likes

9 Likes

“She also thinks you should wear jackets backwards when you’re in a stroller, so you can be protected from the wind and cold without your back getting uncomfortably hot,”

She is one to keep an eye on.

10 Likes

I read about this as a kid in The Straight Dope. the danger wasn’t really much for the individual users, it was the shoe salesman that were near them and using them all the time.

on a related topic, the reason you can’t get the good glow-in-the-dark paint with radium on your watch dials etc anymore isn’t because it’s dangerous to you. it’s on the other side of glass and metal and doesn’t penetrate (or not appreciably, anyway.) it’s because all the women they hired at the watch companies to paint it on all died, and even then only because one of them hung around long enough to win her lawsuit before she died. sheesh.

they do make tiny glass tubes with tritium in them now (safe for the watch employees as far as we can tell, although what about the people who make the tubes?) but the dial design is limited to the short tubular look of them . usually just the indices but here’s one that looks like lcd numbers

I think the paint on the bezel with the 30 and 45 is regular safe “lume” that glows a long time but not forever/non-nuclear.

10 Likes

pic

15 Likes

IMG_4478

11 Likes

from

The Vampira Show Drinking GIF

14 Likes

The first sci-fi story?

7 Likes

I didn’t know where to put this, so I’m putting it here. Heavy metal guitar. Literally.

7 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeAmazed/s/afEKDksbal

Since the OneBox isn’t working:

11 Likes

Bat Grass.

2 Likes

19 Likes

Cool real-time earth stuff site, but I’m still trying to figure it out:

6 Likes
8 Likes