Odd Stuff (Part 5)

16 Likes

By Josh Dury
Perseid meteor shower above Stonehenge, it is an amalgamation of several images, pretty though.

20 Likes

Perhaps this beast could have a new life there:

As a kid, taking out our little tin can cartopper out on Sproat Lake to see one of these up close was eye-opening.

ETA I’m looking for some footage of the flyover

8 Likes

Lemme guess, it was easy to get into his email because the password had something to do with tb?

2 Likes

I knew you’d be able to tell us about this bizarre, fabulously silly video! :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: Thank you!

3 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes

In Rhode Island?

9 Likes

that does seem odd, tarpon that big, that far north.
i’ll never forget the time a big tarpon hit my live bait really, really hard
 that was a very exciting 15 seconds, before it broke off! (i wasn’t even fishing for tarpon!)

11 Likes

Reminds me of all the warnings about changes in global ocean water temperatures (and marine life responding to that):

So

shocked philip j fry GIF

13 Likes

my thoughts, too. i guessed Atlantic coast from here to maybe Outer Banks, but according to USGS they can be found in the Chesapeake or even (much to my surprise) Nova Scotia!

Native Range: Marine and estuarine. Virginia (occasionally Nova Scotia), Bermuda, and Gulf of Mexico to Brazil; also eastern Atlantic; occasional near Pacific terminus of Panama Canal (Robins and Ray 1986). Murdy et al. (1997) reported this species occasionally gets as far north as Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, as a result of seasonal movement via the Gulf Stream.

Source

10 Likes

How many MacObelixs would they need?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-024-07652-1

The link to Orcadian stone circles gains strength, would love to know the story.

7 Likes

Your microwave oven has its own microbiome
Survey of bacteria living inside household and laboratory appliances finds a robust ecosystem.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-02553-9#ref-CR3%20:

4 Likes
8 Likes

“My microwave is full of hamsters!”

13 Likes

10 Likes

Looks more like a
 Sousaphone!

Anyway, I love that Dutch uses the term magnetron (oven). Because that’s what it is.

12 Likes

I searched for “hamster sousaphone”! You’ll have to take the inaccuracy up with the book’s author.

Wasn’t magnetron an archangel or a transformer or something?

7 Likes

w0VoxTX

10 Likes