Odd Stuff (Part 5)

Long before he said “LaGrange, Illinois” (a suburb of Chicago) I knew he was from the greater Chicagoland area because of how he speaks. It’s not always “dees, dims, and doses”; usually the Chicago area accent is more like his.

1 Like

Google says there are a lot of horror-themed pizza places, too many to find that one without help :ghost:

2 Likes
6 Likes

18 Likes

Fusion Cuisine and cheap too! What’s not to like?

6 Likes

Haggis, it’s the new pumpkin spice!

7 Likes

Oh, Lord have mercy!

6 Likes

A lovely eulogy:

There’s no way to pack the whole story of Voyager 1 into a single blog post. Here’s the TLDR: Voyager was the first spacecraft to fly past Jupiter, and the first to take close-up photos of Jupiter’s moons. It flew on past Saturn, and examined Saturn’s moon Titan, the only moon with an atmosphere. And then it flew onwards, on and on, for another forty years. It officially left the Solar System and entered interstellar space in 2012. It just kept going, further and further into the infinite emptiness.

(You know about the Golden Record? Come on, everybody knows about the Golden Record. It’s kind of hokey and cheesy and also kind of amazing and great.)

Voyager has grown old. It was never designed for this! Its original mission was supposed to last a bit over three years. Voyager has turned out to be much tougher than anyone ever imagined, but time gets us all. Its power source is a generator full of radioactive isotopes, and those are gradually decaying into inert lead. Year by year, the energy declines, the power levels relentlessly fall. Year by year, NASA has been switching off Voyager’s instruments to conserve that dwindling flicker. They turned off its internal heater a few years ago, and they thought that might be the end. But those 1970s engineers built to last, and the circuitry and the valves kept working even as the temperature dropped down, down, colder than dry ice, colder than liquid nitrogen, falling towards absolute zero.

18 Likes

There needs to be more research. Do the other Great Apes do Dad Jokes?

“I’ve got your nose!”

labuk-bay-proboscis

(Yeah, yeah, New World Monkey, not a Great Ape.)

12 Likes
5 Likes

17 Likes

A couple was passionately kissing in front of the Christ Redeemer monument in Rio, when a lightning stroke the statue. They didn’t gave a **** and the Church says they are OK.

14 Likes

Well, some people are more sensitive to signs than others… :wink:

8 Likes

The trajectory of Apple products

9 Likes

21 Likes

See, the thing about humans isn’t that they can run really fast, or have overwhelming weight or teeth or claws-it’s that they just don’t stop coming after you. You might think a giraffe could escape easily, but being shivvied along for days and days wears it out and then the dinky, soft, harmless humans can slaughter it. So jogging is actually just the right move.

9 Likes

Since jogging is not involved in either defense or finding food, we can conclude it is probably an expensive display of resources to show how much energy humans have to spare and thereby impress potential mates. This is simple evolutionary psychology, which is a science according to evolutionary psychologists.

19 Likes
11 Likes

:thinking: Isn’t it easier to have an alarm sound in the truck when the bed is up but the vehicle is in motion? I once saw a truck like that hitting/pulling down subway-surface car wires during my morning commute. Fun times… :grimacing:

6 Likes

I’d expect an experienced (?) driver would notice the shift in the centre of gravity from the raised bed and the different handling of the truck that goes with it at the first turn they take and maybe look over their shoulder, but…

But then I’d expect to have the truck some sort of safety system that would prevent the truck from moving faster than a brisk pedestrian with a raised bed.

13 Likes