Odd Stuff (Part 5)

It was almost exactly a decade ago that a very unseasonable tornado ripped through the west side of Dexter. Mr. Kidd thought I was nuts for freaking out about that storm, but I grew up in tornado alley, he didn’t. We got a green sky, hail and the temperature drop of 20F in less than 20 seconds, but were spared the funnel. :face_with_peeking_eye: I have friends and colleagues who live in the subdivision that tornado hit. :frowning:

If the sirens go off tonight, I’ll make everyone head to the basement, whether they like it or not. Stay safe in the D. :hugs:

14 Likes

you are absolutely right to freak about tornadoes!
i, too, grew up in tornado-prone parts of texass and concur with your cautiousness!
i would rather shelter in place (and have) in the face of hurricanes (irma messed up this island bad!). BUT!
i will not mess around when there is a tornado warning. the conditions you described would have me getting a mattress into the center-most bathroom of the house in case we have to get in the tub and pull it over us. at 13ft above sea level, we don’t have a basement, obvs.

stay safe!

14 Likes

Family night in the basement!

Last tornado spewer I was glued to the weather underground storm tracks. When things got iffy I herded all three people and cats into the closet with some playing cards and cat treats. A bit squished but we don’t have a basement.

14 Likes

We have an active tornado watch going right now here near Chicago. Severe thunderstorms are likely on the way as well. Tonight’s dog walk may end up on the brief side.

11 Likes

Our basement is just that, not living space. Very uncomfortable for an evening of it. :disappointed: At least we have one, though! We really need to fix what’s in it for climate change. There’s a box of broken stained glass shards under the stairs, sheets of stained glass just east of that opening, couple hundred square feet wood flooring sticks south of that…and on the west side of the basement is kitty toilet area, washer/dryer and food storage, most of which is in glass jars or metal cans. :pleading_face:

@BakerB take heed the sirens, if they sound. :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

Just drove through the tornado watch from Chicago to Indiana. It got worse the further south we went, but then better the further east we went.

But yeah, I’ve spent over a week without wearing even a jacket. At the end of February?

16 Likes

17 Likes

30 Likes

Already educating their students before the actual course begins!

Friends Applause GIF by Neptune3 Studios

16 Likes

2 day no alcohol challenge

23 Likes

I Can Handle This Game Show GIF by ABC Network

12 Likes
13 Likes

My first thought on seeing the headline was, “Oh, that’s cool!” Then I read the story. Jesus. Basically, a healthy male humpback whale raped an emaciated, injured male humpback whale.

9 Likes

The worst part of that is how the far right will try to use it…

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that thought did occur to me.

3 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/an-etf-that-tracks-the-stock-trades-of-democrats-in-congress-has-been-beating-the-s-p-500-on-the-strength-of-magnificent-7-tech-bets/ar-BB1j3wdN?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=b690831ddc654d21aefbfc7e9998610a&ei=21

• An ETF that tracks the trades of Democrats in Congress has outperformed the S&P 500 since its launch last year, returning 30%.
10 Likes

And one with Republicans is underperforming 13%. The Democratic one is named after Nancy Pelosi. I’m not sure I trust its objectivity.

9 Likes

Well sure. It’s perhaps the best example of why most Dems in Congress are sometimes labeled “corporate Democrats.” Business as usual.

6 Likes

So the Republicans can’t even get that right, even with openly using insider trading, etc.? Figures.

9 Likes
7 Likes