Odd Stuff (Part 5)

strategic response or terrified incontinence?

4 Likes

That feels like it could be a difficult line to draw – the reason so many animals have incontinence as part of their fear reaction is presumably because it sometimes deters predators. But here it talks about how they formed up to spread it out properly.

7 Likes

A mutual defense pact. SWAD.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Who wants to go Sardinia to try some mag n cheese?

1 Like

I’ll stick to mimolette thanks

1 Like

Why would I go all the way to Sardinia for maggot cheese when I can eat them here for free?
…And don’t?

5 Likes

#2 in the slideshow is just perfect. In second place: #6.

12 Likes

… huh, wha? huh?

Oh, uh…

“Jersey barrier”… “Design speed”, uh… “Brake before the curve and accelerate into it.” And so forth.

“Water curtain.”

9 Likes

LOL, Why don’t they lower the road?

9 Likes

12 Likes

When Patty Penzey and her husband opened a branch of the business near Chicago they ended up changing the name to The Spice House. At one point they advertised “spices without politics”. I was very disappointed.

4 Likes

https://archive.ph/zxanl

Uncovered windows have quietly become a fixture of high-end homes across America. “Although this phenomenon is most visible in cities, the link between wealth and exposed windows extends across the United States,” Waters writes. “Most people do still close their shades, but Americans who earn more than $150,000 are almost twice as likely to leave windows uncovered as those making $20,000 to $29,000,” one study found.

When transparent glass windows first emerged in 18th-century Europe, they drew fears of prying neighbors and excessive light; homes without curtains were seen as impoverished. In mid-century suburban America, unsheathed windows welcomed in the abundant light that supposedly couldn’t reach panes in crowded cities, and advertised the safety of their neighborhoods by openly displaying their owners’ possessions. Still, uncovered windows made it to cities around the turn of this century. Although dense living spaces raise fears of privacy, wealthier people tend to have more windows and thus more choice; they can leave some uncurtained without fears of others peeking in.

“Although allowing a view into your home can seem vulnerable, it is actually a statement of security,” Waters continues. “Dutch people, for example, rarely cover their windows at night, letting their neighbors see inside as an act of faith. Similarly, in rural Denmark, drawn curtains are treated with suspicion, especially when newly arrived immigrants are the people keeping their blinds down. In the U.S., the uncovered window is perhaps less an expression of communal trust than one of personal protection. Wealthier homeowners, who can also afford state-of-the-art security systems, may not feel that they need shades. These curtainless windows have become one of our subtlest statements of privilege. They demand our attention, not only because they give us a peek inside beautiful homes, but also because they project the type of confidence and stability that few of us can dream of replicating.”

9 Likes

Colourful, but I think I’d want to wear a filter mask.

6 Likes
5 Likes

On the other hand, Justin Bieber moved out of this mostly glass house because he got tired of paparazzi taking pictures of him watching tv or eating breakfast lol

5 Likes

Not wherever people had to pay a special tax on curtains.

8 Likes

Ooh, we can talk about Edinburgh and other places in Britain, where the tax was based on number of windows facing the street, so all of a sudden a lot of homes boarded up the windows on that side.

9 Likes

A thread about cows on road signs.

10 Likes

Seen outside of Taos NM

13 Likes