Oddly familiar video game tunes

1 Like

This is the sort of thing I would expect a broad swath of amateur historians to be frothing over! (The game has the national anthem in it and everything! It seems the sequel doesn’t even have a good ROM dump. There are some meandering queries here and there.)

I don’t suppose any of the people were involved with the Vidéoway system afterwards?

True fact: The Peter Gunn theme was licensed for Spy Hunter after they failed to get licensing for the James Bond theme.

Fun inversion: James Gunn made a movie about a guy named Peter.

5 Likes
1 Like

They actually did that in Ducktales. The absolute madmen.

I don´t really see the similarity of the Imperial march and Zeldas Death mountain theme. Also the Imperial March is from 1980, not 1977 since it was first used in Empire strikes back. Other than that the similarities are striking. I have another one: The endtitle theme from Blade Runner by Vangelis:

and the Scrap Brain Zone Theme from Sonic the Hedgehog:
3 Likes

LMFFTFY (let me fast forward that for you): https://youtu.be/J4F1Dbu4mp8?t=127

I was expecting Blade Runner vs. Sonic, but cannot at all hear the Imperial March/Death Mountain similarity.

Also, Super Mario World’s Athletic Theme is directly lifted from Witch Doctor.

I can hear the imperial march, it’s very cleverly remixed as it changes some of the most recognizable parts in the song but i can definitely pick up on some similar sound structure. It’s different enough that i don’t think its as problematic as some of the other presented examples

Never heard of Intrepid before, but it looks great! Looking forward to playing it on an emulator, any tips you can give?

Friendship’s Let’s Not Talk About It (1979). I won’t name the culprit, but I guarantee you’ll know the lift when you hear it.

I just don’t know what I’m listening for. Can anyone help?

OMG, you ain’t kidding.

2 Likes

Same here: no Nintendo. Here’s the answer, and if you did have a Nintendo, I imagine that theme is visibly engraved in your auditory cortex.

2 Likes

Super Mario for the underground bits I think. I don’t know where all the music themes are.
Cued to the relevant part.

2 Likes

It is in part two of the series

1 Like

Having watched all of them, I think that using Doom’s music is almost cheating. We know that John Romero gave Bobby Prince a stack of CDs and asked him to make music like this.

5 Likes

Ooooh. See, I don’t really ever play those games, and never did when I was younger (because they didn’t exist yet). So the associations just aren’t there for me.

1 Like

Same here but you know the music for Super Mario has been featured on BoingBoing many many times so I am at least passingly familiar with it.

Gaming adjacent

1 Like

FWIW I think Prince greatly improved on those pieces… the Doom soundtrack snippet in the OP kicks Metallic rectum…

If the link doesn’t work for you, try this one. (not a Rickroll, honest).

1 Like