Ode to Winamp

In my experience, even if 2.X is very light, if you’ve got a huge collection of music 5.X’s database makes much more approachable.

They polished it off decently, there were a couple of iffy version in between though (Winamp 3, urgh)

First software (excluding games) I ever bought, still use it to this day. Works well with Android and being able to pick and choose what songs I send across kicks syncing’s arse any day of the week.

I use Winamp all the time and will continue to use as long as possible. Once it dies I will have to find something else, but I strongly doubt that it will be iTunes. I use iTunes for my iPod and really really hate it. It seems to assume that any interaction with your music files will happen through it and it alone. I found that even Windows Media Player is easier to deal with.

2 Likes

Tried qmmp?

The Android version is not even remotely like what you used a decade ago. It’s more like turd that has precisely one good feature (wifi music syncing with your PC).

The very word ‘syncing’ makes me shudder…

1 Like

Well this sucks. Even though I use it as nothing more than a simple music player I’d miss it if it was gone. Looks like I’m sticking with v5.666 forever…

Oh, and the best thing about Winamp IMHO is Windowshade mode. It sits so nicely above the title bar of other programs.

I found the early version of the Android Winamp was a good music player (around the time of Froyo, from memory) but updates caused it to start freezing my phone. Chucked it for Mort Player, which has the added benefit of being named after the Discworld character.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.