Ode to Winamp

[Permalink]

"The more I used Winamp, though, the more interested I became in its design. When I found a message board full of custom Winamp skins, I realized that anyone who could create graphics could create a skin. It lit a fire. "

no fire, but yeah. how many companies were bought and slain by aol? is there an aol? really?

1 Like

I still use it to this day, even subjugate iTunes with it (and a plugin) as the means to load my iPod. I like it very much as a catalog/player, especially if you don’t care about syncing (or have a huge MP3 library that outweighs any iPod available) and prefer to handle it all manually. Guess it’s time to find another. :frowning:

3 Likes

Who whipped the llama’s ass first: Winamp or Wesley Willis?

1 Like

They did do something right, by releasing the source for Netscape, which we have to thank for Firefox.

3 Likes

may very well be hollywood’s next flop. the inside story of software fighting to be free.

I still run an earlier version of winamp. No bloat. Just plays music. Don’t need a lot to a music player.

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head right there. Being a Mac user since 1989, before iTunes became my reluctant MP3 player by default, the best by a long shot was SoundJam MP, which was swallowed by Apple and actually became the monolithic iTunes itself, so the manual handling became much more unwieldy. After upgrading from OS9 to OSX, I tried several other MP3 players such as Audion, but nothing ever rivaled SoundJam MP for performance and ease of use.

2 Likes

Never mind. Wesley, as usual, wins…

1 Like

I guess hopes that Winamp might go open-source or get bought by Microsoft didn’t pan out. It’ll be a long time yet before I drop it, though. I’m sure not going to switch to iTunes.

Remember Sonique? Sonique inspired the sort of warm fuzzies described in the article. It was just plain weird, with a completely non-standard UI in funky shapes and even wackier visualization plug-ins; I have yet to see another practical application that is anything like it. Of course, that one faded into history long ago.

3 Likes

Winamp was the one thing that held me back from ditching windows altogether for a long, long time.

1 Like

wow, that brings back memories.

I’m still using the pre-AOL 2.80 version. Just 558kb in size. It’ll still be whipping the llama’s ass for decades to come.
Seriously, were people still installing updates for the AOL bloatware version?

1 Like

I hadn’t used WinAMP in a decade or more, but when the articles about its death came out, I downloaded it for PC and Android tablet. It seemed to find my iTunes library easily, and I may end up using it instead of the tablet’s music player.

I miss milkdrop

2 Likes

Yup! I played with Sonique for a while (and even listened to tracks by Sonique, one of my fav EDM vocalists on it). If only it had the library functionality of WinAmp I would have stuck with it.

Foobar2000 for the win.

1 Like

Winamp runs pretty well in WINE, last time I checked. Ultimately, that’s the way I decided to go when I was looking for a good Linux music player a few years ago (after I got sick of Amarok crashing).

The official line is that if you run 5.x with the “classic” skin, it’s practically identical to the old 2.x version, but with all kinds of bugfixes included. The newer versions might seem unusually large in size, but most of the time an extra 5 MB MP3 was tossed inside the download.

I can’t deny that having CD burning-and-ripping functionality in a music player is largely uncalled for, though. (For a while, not only would the CD burning engine install a troublesome “filter driver”, but there wasn’t even any way to automatically uninstall it! Very naughty.)

I use Audacious, though I still miss ‘enqueue in Winamp’ in the context menu…