Re:AMP implements classic music player WinAMP on modern Macs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/08/reamp-implements-classic-music-player-winamp-on-modern-macs.html

5 Likes

For Windows, I switched to foobar2000.

It also has MacOS and Android versions.
Not as sexy-looking as WinAmp, but very functional and freeware.

2 Likes

In Linux we have plenty of choices, the WinAMP at the same time was XMMS, which evolved to many other players and now I use one of the descendants, Audacious.

Note: proprietary software from a dev working in Russia.

A bit sad that it has come to this… at what point this warnings are warranted or becomes some sort of veiled ethnic bias? It is hard to tell, and I really hope that state actors are a very minimal part of the Russian software development community, but many software packages are now tainted because of that like Kaspersky antivirus.

3 Likes

I just never stopped using Winamp.

7 Likes

It’s a couple of decades old now. That’s one sore llama.

5 Likes

At the recording studio I worked at, we used WinAmp to accurately calculate the exact length of time for the totality of the recordings we shipped (and later uploaded) each day. At first we archived the audio files to hard-drives and DVDs, but later we used MO (magneto-optical) disks. We had to ship a printed manifest of what was on each disk or set of disks for offsite transfer.

It was a handy little tool, and free too. And I have fond memories of it making my life easier when I added it as part of my work flow.

I wanted a couple of features that WinAmp never implemented, but the developer (who I am told worked on WinAmp) added to foobar2000.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.