Officials honor hero cat who saved an old man trapped in a canal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/03/officials-honor-hero-cat-who-s.html

16 Likes

For a dog to be a hero, it would’ve had to pull the guy out of the canal, or at least go and fetch help. For a cat it counts as heroism to just be like “lol check it out, some asshole fell in a canal”.

38 Likes

Good kitty. It’s time for treaties!

18 Likes

My cat sometimes acts strangely and stares at something behind me. When I turn around, there’s nothing unusual that I can see. Maybe there’s really something trapped and waiting to be rescued. :thinking:

:scream_cat:

14 Likes

dogs: always get praise
cats: damned if they do, damned if they don’t

20 Likes

Yes, but dogs always need praise. Cats find that sort of thing tedious and irrelevant.

12 Likes

Meanwhile, the cat’s thinking “Aw shucks, I was enjoying watching the slow demise of that stupid human”

9 Likes

That’s a good cat. :cat:

11 Likes

Headline:

hero cat who saved an old man

Intro:

was honored […] after alerting rescuers

Quote:

a female cat […] staring into the canal

Well that de-escalated quickly!

8 Likes

Hey, the cat did not eat the guy while he lay there. Do you have any idea how relatively pro social that is for a feline?!

7 Likes

Maybe your cat sees dead people?

11 Likes

Given the history of all cats in the entire history of all cats, I’m guessing she was looking at her reflection.

2 Likes

Cat who pushed old man into canal still at large

12 Likes

Do you mean… like… something in the wall?

The Cat of Amontillado.

10 Likes

“Heroic vultures alert rescuers to man dying in desert”

7 Likes

It could be a fly or mosquito it wants to capture. Cats are predators; anything that moves and is not too big or dangerous is worth killing and possibly eating.

… or maybe: “Haha, gotcha!:)”

2 Likes

Possible too. One of my cats often climbs to the bathroom mirror, then starts meowing. As I get there, he looks at me through the mirror and keeps meowing, clearly at me. What can I do? I really don’t know.

5 Likes

FTFY. My cat doesn’t like bugs, but she’s more than happy to point them out (like Lassie summoning help 'cause Timmy fell into the well again). Once I arrive on the scene, she meows and looks back and forth between me and the insect as if to say, “Well, do something about it!” :smirk_cat:

7 Likes

I moved into a place with a floor to ceiling mirror in the kitchen. Now, I get that same behavior. I tried waving at her, with my hand slightly in front of her face so she can see that real me and “mirror me” are doing the same thing. That usually stops her crying. Sometimes, she’ll sit in front of her reflection on the floor and look up at mine, like she can’t believe the difference in height.

6 Likes

A cat large enough to pull a man out of a canal would eat the person.

8 Likes