Ohio woman feels like "prisoner" because a deer keeps attacking her near her home

Spoiler Alert!!!

4 Likes

I know someone who had his arm opened up with that stupid looking windmilling that they do with their front legs. As noted by others, those hooves are sharp.

Also, crocodiles are VERY fast for very short distances. Short burst ambush predators and allā€¦

4 Likes

i am going to just throw this out her, as a person who constantly encounters deer, moose and elk, and frequently bears. (Also occasionally beavers and badgers, which are mean little things). Anyway, I think at a minimum, she should reconsider her choice of dog breed. Then there is pepper spray or an air horn, either of which can be used carefully to not separate the fawn and itā€™s mother. they also sell deer repellent, which I have never personally used. I think it is very cool to wake up early in the morning and see a big elk looking right back at me right outside the window screen. Even just hearing them walking around in the dark and breathing is nice. the dog is well trained, and does not bark until instructed to, but he thoroughly enjoys watching the critters through the windows. When we let him out in the morning, the critters make themselves scarce. Maybe this lady is experiencing the effects of suburban interaction with an overpopulation of deer. feeding them, and causing them to have no fear of humans.

Totally unrelated- horses despise chipmunks. For forty years I have watched the slow war between the chipmunks and our pack and saddle horses. The horses will stand in a meadow, one front hoof held six inches above the ground. Then they remain motionless, for as long as an hour. Eventually, a happy little chipmunk will bop along, doing whatever it is that they do. when chipmunk business takes him under that hoof, the horse snaps into action and puts everything he has into squashing the little guy. Then the horse picks a new spot, raises his hoof and waits for another one.The chipmunks have few weapons in this war. Certainly not intelligence. What he has is a great enthusiasm to reproduce.

12 Likes

Mmmmm. Mexican beer.

1 Like

There was a bird (mockingbird, I think) that had a nest somewhere near our front door and it was apparently protecting its chicks. One day, I went out to get the mail, turned around and found it dive bombing me. I probably would have been fine without doing anything, but my immediate instinctive response was to swat at it with the magazine Iā€™d just received. Made contact (barely) knocking loose two tail feathers. Well, that bird hated me forever after. Iā€™m sure it didnā€™t matter whether or not there were nestlings to protect, it went on the warpath whenever it saw me.

Crows are famous for this kind of thing. They donā€™t even need babies to inspire it. They see a person they personally donā€™t like? Fuck that guy.

I would trust the judgement of crows more than a deer, though. I think itā€™s possible the deer is being irrational. I dunno. Itā€™s their culture.

4 Likes

I suspect the doe is more interested in attacking the dogs. Foxes are a real threat to fawn and small dogs are similar to foxes.

1 Like

We have (Australian) magpies nesting in a few spots around the house, and in Spring those fuckers are serious arseholes. They remember faces, they hold a grudge and when the males are protecting nests they are relentless. I have vivid memories of riding a motorbike at about 60km/h and seeing a birdā€™s shadow on the road rapidly approaching my shadow, and feeling the strike of claws on my helmet.

It sounds much cooler in my head when I tell myself I was attacked by a dinosaur.

5 Likes

Deer are basically varmints, as far as Iā€™m concerned.

And in the end she escapes from her house in her car and drives off. Across the landscape, covering every surface, are thousands and thousands of deer.

5 Likes

2 Likes

9 Likes

Oh, dear. Er, ā€˜deerā€™ā€¦

1 Like

6 Likes

Tasty animal that threatens a human? Hmmā€¦ seems like an easy solution and some nice dinners for a while.
If we choose to eliminate all the top predators from an area, I think we bear some responsibility for taking over their job

1 Like
1 Like

She needs an AR-15 with a 100 round magazine.

Nothing less will do [/s]

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.