A friendly deer follows a stranded woman for 8 miles as she walks home in the dark

Originally published at: A friendly deer follows a stranded woman for 8 miles as she walks home in the dark | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Cool.

17 Likes

edit: less blink tag more image.

20 Likes

One early morning a young deer wandered into my apartment complex (there was a green space right next to us that they sometimes visited cuz deer reasons). I’d never seen one actually come into the complex, so I stared a moment, went “huh kinda cool” and moved on.

But it started following me as I was heading for my bus stop, so I told it “okay, but please do NOT follow me across the street!” There was hardly any traffic yet, but still, you never know.

Thankfully, it didn’t. Still think about that deer every now and then.

18 Likes

People have likely been feeding it. Probably thinks lady has food.

23 Likes

Sweetest damn thing I’ve see today, and like everyone here, it’s nice to see some good news once in awhile.

22 Likes

Prolly wanted some Star"bucks"

7 Likes

that’s cute and all but the best thing for both the deer and the person probably would have been to frighten it off right away.

8 Likes

From the angle of the video it appears rather young, perhaps it was separated from it’s mother?

11 Likes

Indeed, although if the vid goes viral, Subaru may not appreciate it as much as we do: A Subaru?! Stuck in the mud?! Impossible!

15 Likes

there was probably something BIG (like a puma, or bear) following the deer so it wanted to associate w/ slower & easier prey.

12 Likes

It either wants to eat something she has, or it wants to eat her if she expires from the stress.

A distant third place, and perhaps the most terrifying is it has rabies.

6 Likes

33 Likes

That was a horrible visual pun.

11 Likes

three miles in the right direction, and five miles in the wrong direction (she took a wrong turn along the way)

She’s clearly filming this video with a smartphone.

How the hell do you get five miles off-track, moving at walking pace, when you’ve got a handheld GPS receiver?

20 Likes

Thank you :grin:

14 Likes

Or the prion thing for deer. Lots of odd behavior out of those brains.
Although it appears like it has not made it to Maine yet, per CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/occurrence.html

6 Likes

this was in rural maine. believe it or not, smartphone connectivity does not work everywhere on earth.

7 Likes

coyotes would be the most likely predator. black bears are not known to hunt live deer, and aren’t really any big cats in maine.

3 Likes

You have weird expectations of what cell service looks like in the middle of effin’ nowhere. Camera works because it’s native to the phone, maps do not.

10 Likes