Oklahoma botches first execution in 7 years: condemned man "convulsed and vomited" for 15 minutes after drugs failed

Having lived in Oklahoma, I’m imagining a lot of the people who live there are totally okay with this. I’m glad I don’t live there anymore.

2 Likes

It is because too much of it is privatized. We could fix that, but the pro-cruelty crowd hates the idea of decent paying jobs to be directly paid for with tax dollars (yet have no qualms with shady corporations hoovering up all their tax dollars).

6 Likes

Is there a reason it wouldn’t be “humane” to execute someone by just draining them of their blood? Or is that cruel in a way I don’t anticipate? They could be in a warm bath and just have a line in a vain. To be clear, I don’t support the death penalty but I’m still curious about the topic and the process.

As horrific as this is, perhaps more horrific is that many (many!) people will react by saying, “yeah, that sucks, but he made his choice” as if anything could justify torturing a human to death.

2 Likes

Good grief, I didn’t think this thread would turn into a discussion or “more peaceful ways” to end someone’s life. :no_mouth:

7 Likes

Given the state of health for most of our governors, that would definitely increase the odds of survival. I’m for it. Do they get to try to choke the governor in return?

7 Likes

If the governor can choose a lieutenant governor as a stand-in, us Pennsylvanians are in for some terror with our Gritty-made-flesh favorite son.

2 Likes

Sure, why not. If the person slated for execution prevails they become the new governor.

6 Likes

Oklahoma’s frat-boy-in-charge Kevin Stitt just might be up for that though.

3 Likes

According to the NYT:

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections said the execution was carried out in accordance with protocols and “without complication.”

3 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: the ‘pro-life’ party.

21 Likes

As a pro life person, I find state sanctioned murder far more reprehensible than legalized abortion. I don’t know how anyone can call themselves pro life and support this barbarism. Unless “pro life” is just code for being against legalized abortion for the sake of controlling women’s bodies, but not really giving a shit about life at all.

11 Likes

Unless we’re living in a simulation to answer exactly this.

GIF by Shalita Grant

14 Likes

Wow, at this point it would be more humane to bring back the guillotine. Or, you know, stop murdering prisoners.

4 Likes

If we’re going to be cruel about this, let’s just go all in. I propose all states with the death penalty now send all their death row inmates to Alcatraz, which will be redesigned to accommodate a real life version of Squid Game. Instead of money, the winner gets to live. /s

(I shouldn’t have to add that sarcasm tag, but it’s 2021 and some people probably would think this is a splendid idea.)

1 Like

Funny how assisted suicide doesn’t have these problems.

It has other typical pharmabro problems.

“ For years, the two barbiturates widely considered the best drugs for hastening death in terminally ill patients were pentobarbital and secobarbital. These medications were painless, fast-acting, and relatively affordable. But since 2015, they’ve been largely unavailable. U.S. pharmacies stopped carrying pentobarbital approved for human use, and the price of secobarbital, under the brand name Seconal, doubled from an already historic high after Valeant Pharmaceuticals (today known as Bausch Health) bought the manufacturing rights. A few years ago, a lethal dose cost about $200 or $300; now it can cost $3,500 or more.”

17 Likes

In the past, one of the few things poor people could afford was dying. Now even that is priced beyond their reach.

10 Likes

That’s not an execution, that’s called torturing someone to death.

Where does this sick insanity end?

4 Likes

I know! Bunch of softies. We should be talking about ways to make it MORE cruel! I propose something really long and drawn out, like old age.

5 Likes