Oklahoma botches first execution in 7 years: condemned man "convulsed and vomited" for 15 minutes after drugs failed

I had it as the report that it went ‘without incident,’ to which witness Lakiedra Chavis added it did involve the guy barfing for 15 minutes (which is a lot of it.)

6 Likes

About firing squads…

No death sentences ever, no exceptions.

19 Likes

In 2016, 66% of Oklahomans voted to pass ballot measure State Question 776 which gave the state the right to perform executions… but then this in 2017:

“SQ776 was expected to pass with at least 72% of the vote, so this result signals a significant shift in attitudes on the death penalty in our state, echoing a trend we are seeing across this country, and indicates just how out of touch the Oklahoma legislature is on this issue. The Sooner Poll found that more Oklahomans prefer the alternative of death by incarceration – true life without the possibility of parole – over capital punishment when given that option.

OK should immediately institute a permanent moratorium and (if they really need to) hold a special election to run a new ballot measure.

4 Likes

I don’t think the Republicans have reached that stage of fascism yet.

13 Likes

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

12 Likes

From outside the US that seems to be more or less who is elected as republican governors. Only they’d pay someone to do it because for them that’s more moral.

5 Likes

You’ve reminded me of one of the proposed US Constitution Amendments that went nowhere - before going to war there must be a national referendum, and all Yes voters get drafted.

8 Likes

Certainly puts the masse in Levée en masse

1 Like

Use confiscated opiates to administer overdoses?

2 Likes

Almost as if, yeah.

4 Likes

This.

Veterinary clinics euthanize patients all the time, and for the most part, it goes very smoothly and peacefully (and is very quick).

There are occasionally supply side issues with euthanasia drugs, but these are usually transient blips.
A lot of these drug issues seem more political/economic than science/medicine based issues.

7 Likes

I object to them botching the job, but this is one of the few circumstances where I don’t object to the death penalty. That is : person is already in prison and kills someone. Adding another life sentence without possibility of parole isn’t much of a deterrent when they’re already serving one or more. And the selection of possible suspects is limited, and there’s likely to be relatively good evidence of what happened, so the likelyhood of a mistaken conviction is low.

That said, lethal injection is apparently super prone to screw up, so it shouldn’t be a viable option.

Vets use pentobarbital, and Barr announced that when the Trump administration began to kill people, that would be the drug of choice. By contrast, Oklahoma used the older three drug cocktail, which often produces pulmonary edema

The federal government switched because iit couldn’t obtain sodium thiopental and obtained the new drugs under false pretenses.

2 Likes

Neither is the death penalty clearly.

But hey. Let’s just kill Black men because reasons… /s

7 Likes

So self defense isn’t a viable explanation in prison, the way it would be if someone were attacked in their bedroom that wasn’t in a prison?

I don’t know the specifics of this story, but I do know that there are many ways in which prisoners are unsafe behind bars.

8 Likes

They’re already non-people, so why should we treat them as people… /s

And of course, a conviction is no real guarantee of actual guilt, either.

6 Likes

The death penalty clearly will keep him from reoffending. There’s three major theories on how prison works : deterrence, rehabilitation, and removal (from where someone can commit a crime)

He killed an elderly cafeteria employee.

So will having a criminal justice system that is humane and focuses on rehabilitation rather than retribution.

Given the racist nature of our prison systems, it’s beyond the pale to keep using the death penalty.

4 Likes

But you can’t bring an offender back if new evidence comes to light.

6 Likes

Exactly! On top of that, it’s just cruel.

6 Likes