Oklahoma GOP compares welfare recipients to national park animals

The CSA inspired model seems to work better from what I’ve seen. Mostly where it effectively shows up for free from the recipients standpoint.

But logistically they’re messy. Combining produce from CSAs with food bank resources and additional purchased goods to send out a weekly box isn’t exactly easy to do on a very large scale. And the bigger it goes the less cost effective it is.

Talk about an effing interesting big data problem…

1 Like

See, this kind of thing points out what I’ve been saying all along.

We effectively have 2 parties that run America. One of them is a party of people, many with completely insane, unworkable ideas, and no understanding of how technology works. Many have no interest in actually making helpful laws. Some good actual decent people that get good things done, occasionally.

Then there is the other party- this one. They are a party in name only, in that they are a group of “things”. I think they’re human, but quite often they make me think otherwise with comments like this, “legitimate rape”, and an ever endless stream of idiocy, and tired, backwards ideas. When I was young, it was an occasional thing, and people still could pretend they were just another group of humans. Now they say things like this so often, that even regardless of their actions, the sheer amount of stupid shit they say and how often they try to make rational arguments using a religious fairy tale book makes me question their very grasp of reality, not only in jest, but in honest seriousness, and meeting them is starting to actually frighten me.

Both “parties” are useless at best. At least the first one has a grip of reality to some degree, and doesn’t confuse animals with human beings.

Welcome to America! Reality and basic mental function is hard here apparently.

5 Likes

You know shit has gone way downhill when that is simultaneously funny for a second, then a very fucking sad but real commentary on the state of poverty, the GOP, police brutality, and the public view of law enforcement all in one joke. The very fact that we can even make that joke is really scary, reality is frightening in the US right now.

4 Likes

So if I decide to feed myself by eating Oklahomans, the GOP are supportive? Or are they the only ones who can get away with that?

1 Like

if anyone actually believes repubs care what is said about them please wake up. i am in tahlequah where native people worship football and southern baptist pride. where liberals refuse to speak against the very institutions ad corporations which have made oklahomo historically one of the poorest places in the nation. now lets go build another sports arena with tax dollars!

3 Likes

Q. Why doesn’t Texas just float off into the Gulf?

A. Because Oklahoma Sucks.

7 Likes

The orthodox randroid does not merely consider altruism to be superfluous; but to be unethical. The just-world moralist believes that people get what they deserve; because the alternative is a universe where outcomes are substantially stochastic.

This message is fairly accurately pitched, if you wish to appeal to both.

3 Likes

This is why the concept of hell is so persistent. Maybe, somehow, the universe will punish them at some point.

1 Like

Why don’t the Reps just go with the slogan “Fuck The Poor”?
Sometimes they seem so blunt about it.

7 Likes

Quick! Blame an intern!

5 Likes

USA! USA! USA! USA!

/s

I agree that folks ought to be able to buy good food with SNAP. It is possible, if not as easy as buying soda and Kraft.

Producers at farmers markets can get a SNAP card reader and start accepting SNAP. In some cases, a SNAP beneficiary can “buy” tokens a central location and use those throughout the market.

In addition, local retailers accept SNAP, not just Walmart and the ilk.

The DoubleBucks program encourages SNAP recipients to use their benefits to buy good food that is often locally-produced.

6 Likes

I haven’t been to look, but it seems like I’ve been to this rodeo before. In my experience those who made the original statement are now most likely saying, “We weren’t really comparing humans and animals. We were simply putting the two side by side as food for thought and you’re stupid for misinterpreting our words. It’s your fault we can’t have intelligent discussions and anything else you say will be ignored.”

If it seems unusually lengthy it’s because I’m merely retyping almost verbatim responses I’ve actually gotten.

8 Likes

A nonpology dripping with psychological projection sounds about 100% right. Well played.

6 Likes

Gawd! I just drove through OK a while back. I hope none of it rubbed off on me!

Did you hear about the Aggie from Oklahoma who graduated and moved back to Oklahoma? It raised the average IQ of both states!

2 Likes

I had never heard of double bucks and was confused as to why… Now I know, it is really new! :). Reading through how it works, the process could be streamlined. But booya that is a step in the right direction.

Maybe I should host cooking classes at farmers markets :smile: (how to make a hash brown, how to make soup, how to make spaghetti sauce, the joys of artichokes, etc)

3 Likes

I don’t know when you’ll sqeeze it in, but I’m sure you’ll be dressed well when you do.

2 Likes

thing is- I lived in rural OK for a couple years not too long ago.

There are liberals, and hell, plain smart people there. Plenty of rational conservatives too, mind you. Go to Cherry street district in Tulsa, you’ll find plenty.

Thing is, they are an overwhelming minority. Conservatives are so outspoken there, because, MERICA, that those people don’t speak out much. Because the rest of the state is so fucking polarized, and that majority’s worst tendancy is to not question their own views, ever. No matter what. Which is what leads to “MERICA” people.

Look- surely people here are intelligent enough to get that there aren’t actually things like red and blue states. It’s a mental construction the nation uses to simplify things. There are liberals, conservatives, and everything else everywhere in the US. It’s just where they are an obvious minority that they don’t often speak up. Humans aren’t all born with enough balls or tits or whathaveyou to speak their mind- few actually are. Most people may mean well, but are timid when about expressing themselves when their neighbors, all the people surrounding them feel differently so strongly.

That’s the beauty of the internet- fuck location- speak your mind, and dispel stereotypes with truth.

Oklahoma is not a bad place- it’s quite beautiful, actually, and there are a lot of nice people there. BBQ is awesome. But yes, a lot of non-questioning conservative people set in religious mindsets there.

That, however, does not excuse this OKGOP bullshit- I get what they were trying to do, but it’s like the party as a whole has no stupid filter. Or any kind of filter.

7 Likes