Trump to kick 700,000 Americans off food stamps just in time for holiday cruelty display

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/04/trump-to-kick-700000-american.html

700,000 may lose access to food stamps

4 Likes

The timing is not co-incidental. With regimes like this, never doubt for a moment that the cruelty is the point.

52 Likes

I guess I’m going to have to open up a boot strap store. /XXLs

19 Likes

Does Trump have any idea how many members of his base depend on food assistance?

(OK, silly question.)

Do any of Trump’s advisors realize how many members of his base depend on food assistance?

34 Likes

We could save a lot more than 5.5 billion by getting rid of all the subsidies to Amazon and other big businesses.

38 Likes

Remember that bipartisan Farm Bill signed last year that had SNAP provisions in it?

Well, I think that it just got gutted. Or swamped.

14 Likes

I hope the workers at the burger joint know when the White House places an order for Donnie so they can moisten it for him.

17 Likes

In regards to his base, Louisiana, Georgia and Tennessee are going to get hit hard it seems.

California is the target.

20 Likes

Could be, but that map is obviously deceptive in the sense that it shows raw numbers instead of food-stamp-recipients-per-capita. (Also, that color coding is garbage from an informational standpoint.)

So California is going to have the largest total number of people affected but the statewide impact is going to be far smaller than it will be in places like Louisiana, where almost 1 in 5 people depend on food stamps.

30 Likes

We (Louisiana) did just re-elect a democratic governor running against a guy who Trump campaigned for, so maybe Trump’s idea of payback. /sarcasm
Afterall, it is hard to overestimate how petty and selfish that man can be. /not sarcasm

22 Likes

Can I assume Texas is mostly unaffected because they already kicked their poor off of the food stamp program?

6 Likes

As much as I don’t look forward to eating the rich… eat the rich.

I expect Fox News will spin it so this is all somehow the Dems doing. And his base will believe it, because why would they stop believing it now?

15 Likes

34 Likes

You think Trump understands the difference? All anyone had to do was present that map and say, “It’ll punish California!” and he’d be all for it.

12 Likes

That’s a bit tinfoil hat IMHO. Much easier to believe he just went “fuck the poor, more money for me.”

7 Likes

Not intended to be taken seriously. I’ll add the sarcasm tag.

3 Likes

You beat me to it; that is some shitty graphic design right there.

17 Likes

“Are there no (privately run) prisons? Are there no (slave-labor) workhouses?”

7 Likes

laugh

I mean, you’re not wrong, but… :woman_shrugging:t3:

9 Likes

Funny you should mention that (and I do get the reference).

13 Likes