Oklahoma judge arrested after opening fire while driving and intentionally crashing car into another

Originally published at: Oklahoma judge arrested after opening fire while driving and intentionally crashing car into another | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Judge Lovell was sentence to life on Titan.

26 Likes

Does he pack that gun while on the bench? Probably not a good idea to interrupt him then.

14 Likes

I’d bet money on it. The good news is, his boss said he won’t be allowed to sit as a judge on any cases until this is resolved.

19 Likes

That mugshot…

joe pesci youths GIF

13 Likes

That misdemeanor charge is yet more evidence #ACAB.

11 Likes

I’m a little surprised, though. The incident and the arrest happened in Austin, Texas. Texans aren’t generally known for their deference to anyone or anything associated with Oklahoma.

10 Likes

If this is his response to feeling slighted, if this is the type of person he is, you have to wonder what he did to the people under his power as a judge. What kinds of abuses he was lenient towards (because he saw them as acceptable), what kind of abuses he perpetrated against those in his court…

12 Likes

Should get his car, gun and job taken away and be disallowed from ever having any of those things again (in the case of job, I just mean anything to do with the legal system, though putting him in any job where he gets to be physically near other human beings is probably a bad idea). Plus jail time, of course.

11 Likes

liveblogging sylvester stallone GIF

5 Likes

I’m still open to any investigation results, because this is wild. :man_shrugging:

ETA: Ope, I missed the one little bit where he told cops he’d been cut off in traffic.

Never Mind GIF

6 Likes

I’d say put him somewhere remote, like a forest fire observation post, but he’d probably cause a fire by shooting at the trees. And whatever drugs he does–and this story suggests several possibilities besides “old man rage”–would make him ineffective anyway.

3 Likes

Waiting to hear he pulled the “Do you know who I am?” card in 3… 2… 1…

8 Likes

That, actually, is shocking, given it’s Oklahoma.

3 Likes

Only a driving charge? So if he was firing his gun while walking there’d be no charge?

Laws specific to driving were introduced because driving is dangerous. It annoys me when driving related offences are used to dillute charges for violent crimes because the person was in their car at the time.

5 Likes

I guess the reckless driving was obvious. “We’ll have to decide if firing your pistol at random parked cars is a problem or not.”

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

10 Likes

Firing a gun is a discharge… sorry :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Not sure why. Cops don’t charge people with crimes. Evidence, perhaps that the criminal justice system in the US is broken, but in this case it is the prosecutors that may be wanting. We’ll have to see whether they get the grand jury to indict him on the gun charge. Frankly, this case seems so open and shut that if they don’t get an indictment (and a successful guilty verdict) I will believe that it is because they were intentionally doing a poor job.

3 Likes

You are certainly correct, but I tend to lump Prosecutors in the same bucket as street LE. I’m also sure the police officers gave a completely factual account of what occurred (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that).

1 Like

Well certainly not one for walking into the back of someone’s car…

Yeah. Or even just “that dude is a judge, so stuff that would cause most people to go to jail for years (if they didn’t die “resisting arrest”) gets a tiny tap on the wrist…”