Oklahoma's repeat-offender Republican Creationist lawmakers take another run at science education

the prophecy is fulfilled!

16 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I imagine most of the people in the dark ages were just worried about surviving, and left all the “intellectual debate” to those who owned the land and had idle time for such trivialities.

7 Likes

I like that they are having a “Jesus & Dino” day out, it’s special.

6 Likes

Hard to understand how they got here from the Middle East, if they believe the Earth is flat. Mohammed had presumably never seen a ship go over the horizon, or if he did, he did not ask what was happening. Do all Islamic fundamentalists only travel in the centre seats of the plane so as not to see the curvature of the Earth?

3 Likes

Just think, you can visit Oklahoma (or Kentucky, or a few other places) and ask them yourself.

The concept of continuing progress in ideas is illusory. In 3rd century BC Syracuse people were making mechanisms that would not be possible in Europe until the 18th century AD. The Romans, the equivalent of today’s Republicans (only interested in money, power and outward respectability) did not see the point of what Greek advanced thinkers were accomplishing. There is no obvious reason why climate change and population pressure shouldn’t result in new Dark Ages in various parts of the Earth.

9 Likes

I’d be fine with passing the bill as long as there was a rider saying any and all court costs spent in the doomed attempt to defend the law are paid by the people that voted “yes” on the bill personally.

9 Likes

If the Earth is spherical it greatly complicates which direction is facing Mecca. At any point on the sphere, facing away from Mecca is also facing towards it, just the long way around. And suppose you’re… [looks it up] …floating between two particular uninhabited atolls in French Polynesia, directly antipodal to Mecca. In which direction do you pray? Down?

(OT, but check out these palm trees. Were they planted, or do they naturally arrange in a honeycomb pattern like that?)

6 Likes

BTW, I really like how much dino-Christ looks like a pirate with the tricorn hat.

4 Likes

The dino-Christ pirate prophecy has now been fulfilled by the grace of his noodly appendage.

also that AR-15 was not my best work

11 Likes

From Orbit has similar issues… https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9031-when-youre-in-orbit-which-way-is-mecca/

3 Likes

This is settled law. We have already had two Supreme Court cases, and this bozo’s side has already lost. If he sometimes succeeds in getting the bill through the legislature and signed, it will never be implemented.

I wouldn’t know, I’m not in the business of mocking Islam. There’s plenty of people hard at work on that one.

3 Likes

Of course not, don’t be silly. He wore a bowler.

2 Likes

Not trolling here at all.

But a bit of logic applied to religion:

Considering these complexities will be appreciated by any deity you are worshipping. A for Effort–even if you get it wrong.*

*Assumes said gods are benevolent. A malicious creator is notably absent from the worldwide discussion.

3 Likes

I thought it was Captain Jack Sparrow…

Applying some sort of bdsm gag to that dino.

2 Likes

Interestingly that was good motivation to learn such complexities. The Muslim world was behind all sorts of advances during the middle ages, and just as astrology prompted much astronomy, it seems at least their improvements to astrolabes were in part as a way to solve the problem of finding the direction of Mecca.

If you actually were at the exact antipode, it looks like you get to choose your direction, just as you do in Mecca (or more particularly the Kaaba) itself.

Not much in nature is regular on that kind of scale! Searching around the web, it looks like most of the Tuamotu Islands were planted with coconut palms around the 1960s. They’re now mainly notable as habitats for some endangered species like Polynesian ground doves.

Interesting, though I might guess no. Pure research has also been struggling for some time now with the sort of capitalists who won’t allow anything as worthwhile unless it looks like it will directly and measurably improve bottom lines. Even if this economist excepts education, that’s what comes to my mind…but there sure is a lot of overlap between the two agendas.

4 Likes

Ah our OK lawmakers embarrassing the state yet again. Would be nice if the spent their time working on how to dig the state out of the one billion dollar deficit but then again most of the ones proposing these bills are morns. Luckily most of these bill never make it to a committee hearing and if they do very rarely do they make it out. But the lawmakers can go back their districts and say I tried and get reelected.

4 Likes

why teach just one?

17 Likes

Sadly this is true. And often they actually think that they are great analysts and thinkers because they attend “bible study” groups several times a week. Hint: It’s not really anything other than an echo chamber if your study group is really more like rote memorization and then very echo-chamber like discussions with nobody willing or able to question anything. A circle jerk is a circle jerk is a circle jerk…

I know someone who thinks himself to be a great scholar, and is more than willing to throw bible quotes at you. He thinks he’s willing and able to discuss them on a reasonable and rational level, but when any thoughtful (and I might add respectfully stated) questioning happens, reverts to simple repetition and absolutely batshit insane unprovable statements.

A good example of this is a discussion we had on why “good people can’t have tattoos, and anyone who has a tattoo cannot be good.” (his words not mine). Since the bible prohibits tattoos, they’re a mark of evil. I posited my vegetarian cousin who works for a charitable non-profit had a tattoo (quite a nice one actually), and if she wasn’t a good person, then there were very few that would qualify. The response? Well, she may do good deeds, but goodness is not determined by acts, and by succumbing to temptation, she obviously was in the thrall of “the demon sitting on her shoulder” (not a metaphor, I checked…). Whaa? No, he seriously believes that there is a literal fucking invisible demon whispering in her ear, and as such she was evil.

And he votes. And has reproduced. Twice…

Fucking scary shit. And this is in CA, not bumfuck flyover…

8 Likes

Damn, I was trying to come up with reasons why palms might naturally do that. No branches and no extensive root systems would mean less competition for sunlight and water; mature trees’ crowns are pretty much the same diameter as younger trees’, so the saplings (are baby palms even called saplings?) wouldn’t have to contort to reach light; relatively short lifespans mean no geriatric monster trees throwing shade… I could see a honeycomb pattern developing even on that scale.

Oh well, that was one shit-and-shower’s worth of contemplation wasted. Don’t those atolls get wiped out by typhoons on the regular though?

2 Likes