Old dentists' office walls are full of thousands of "buried teeth"

Never trust a dentist. In the time of the Napoleonic war, people would loot the teeth from the corpses of the dead soldiers, and sell them to british dentists who turned them into dentures for their wealthy patients. Rich old brits ate with the teeth of fallen dead soldiers, french and english.

7 Likes

I knew of a thug in a pub known as “The Other Tooth Fairy.”

Why? Because he always made other people pick up their teeth…

6 Likes

Not this guy again.

16 Likes

You beat me to it.

Now, can I borrow that poker? There are some serious bogeys which could need a beating.

7 Likes

Good catch.
But why did Teatime have to have such a bad faux-american accent in that?

6 Likes

I’m reminded of Stephen Rea’s character in The Crying Game:

“Have you ever picked up your teeth with broken fingers?”

6 Likes

One of my favorite Christmas movies… er, Hogswatch movies!

10 Likes

That was a pretty well-delivered threat, from such a quiet and unassuming character.
Also, damn fine movie.

5 Likes

That and The Lion in Winter are my perennial Xmas favs!

3 Likes

Here’s mine:

Unfortunately, when I opened the wall I found no blades.

13 Likes

Yep. It’s cavities all the way down.

13 Likes

“old … used to” ?

6 Likes

3 Likes

Upcycling!

3 Likes

What happens if you shave compulsively and you fill up the slot? Get a new house?

4 Likes

This feels like some sort of folk-magic practice, like witch bottles. If this had been in the walls of pre-20th century building, I would have assumed that. I mean, it still might be…

2 Likes

Weird. That looks like my bathroom. Well, almost.

27 Likes

You can’t just throw the teeth away! What if a voodoo witch gets her hands on them and forces all the children to do something terrible like stop believing in the Hogfather?

7 Likes

Eh, his faux american accent is better than the python boys in meaning of life.

Not as good as Hugh Laurie in House though.

4 Likes

Friend of mine grew up in a farm house that was built in, oh god I think it was 1800. They put the foundation/basement in after. Some time around the 1920’s. But they left one wall. So you had a poured concrete floor, 3 walls of cinder blocks. And then a section of dirt floor and a dirt wall to the south (I think). There was some root cellar derived reason behind the dirt section IIRC.

1 Like