Olivia Jade blames her parents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/05/olivia-jade-blames-her-parents.html

3 Likes

So “fear of bullying” is the way to say “too embarrassed to show your face” while still thinking it’s everyone’s fault but yours.

8 Likes

You really can’t blame the kid, tempting as it is. Some of the kids in this scandal didn’t even know their parents had impostors take their SATs.

14 Likes

She’s a spoiled nitwit to be sure, but in this case it doesn’t sound like she was complicit like some of the other kids were. However lightly her parents get off, they’ve lost her for a few years because they’ve cost her what she considers really important: her “career” as an social media influencer (although, this being America, eventually she’ll get her redemption narrative).

17 Likes

Oh noes - her career is over with at 19. Best to just retire now. Take up shuffleboard.

20 Likes

I have zero fucks to give for the parents in this mess, the children however get the benefit of the doubt.

22 Likes

She’s already way more famous than she has any right to be. She’ll be juuuust fine.

15 Likes

Would her career exist in the first place were she not the child of these parents?

9 Likes

The sad ironic part was - she didn’t even want to go to college. You know, if she got in, by what ever means, and was still working hard and doing the work, then ok. You go get it. But this is just a stack of a shit show where she doesn’t even want or appreciate the opportunity that so many other kids would kill a hobo for.

That said, I suppose if she wasn’t complicit in the arrangement, then she shouldn’t lose her sponsorship deals etc. But I have a feeling she can weather this and within 6 mo will be back at it.

3 Likes

…and nothing of value was lost.

12 Likes

Hey, my middle school had shuffleboard, for some reason. It’s sort of fun!

5 Likes

I think you’re right that the kids were ignorant in some cases, but there seems to be some evidence that OJ knew what was going on. She posed for the photos documenting her fake crewing career, and she was on e-mail chains about how to get a suspicious guidance counselor to leave her alone.

6 Likes
7 Likes

With $500K, and a degree from a community college, you can start your own business.

Or, you know. . . with just $500K you can start your own business.

20 Likes

Would her career exist in the first place were she not the child of these parents?

Possibly; her parents would not be well-known to Olivia Jade’s target audience, so they are kind of irrelevant there. Their affluence could supply her with nice things for her website and youtube channel, but a lot of influencers start off small. She is conventionally attractive, with a popular style, and that seems to be what makes an influencer successful.

3 Likes

But conventional celebrity of the kind her parents have comes with networks that can be used to signal boost a youtube channel, just to up view counts, if not directly reach her target audience. Many of those network nodes will be celebrities with their own reach, including the young(er) members of the Full House cast who might have a more direct line to the target consumers. And that’s not to mention their inroads with potential brand “collaborators”.

7 Likes

Full House.

4 Likes

Wait, who is this? (Other than someone with rich dip$hit parents).
Never mind, don’t answer. I don’t care.
I’ll go crawl back under my rock where instagram feeds don’t reach.

5 Likes

She gets very little benefit of the doubt from me, given part of her acceptance was based on her applying as a ROWER, and she isn’t one. She had to know she was falsifying her application. I find it extremely difficult to believe she is guiltless in that decision, unless she allowed her parents to do all the work filling out her application, in which case SHE LIED THERE, TOO.

Yes, her parents are worse. But she’s not a saint, and I’m tired of us celebrating and worshiping rich people because “rich.” It sickens me.

10 Likes

Wait…how does that work? Do the parents also set up a fake SAT testing situation so their kids think they are actually taking the SAT?

7 Likes