Heiress "Instagram influencer" whose parents are accused of paying a $500K bribe to get her into USC has trademark application rejected for punctuation errors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/22/delicious-irony.html

5 Likes

Delicious irony, indeed! And, we liked this book about punctuation, Greedy Apostrophe, a Cautionary Tale.

Maybe we can send her a copy.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Was her lawyer L’Apostrophe?

7 Likes

Give her a break. She apparently was unaware and had no reason to be wary of what her parents and lawyers were doing to mess up her life. Cory is smart enough that punching down isn’t a good look.

2 Likes

She was doing a pretty good job making herself look like an entitled asshole who didn’t deserve to attend an elite University long before the scandal broke. She became infamous for a YouTube video in which she stated

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend. But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

37 Likes

21 Likes

not sure how true that is… she knew she didn’t row crew.

21 Likes

Fixed that for you.

ETA: I don’t know about the rest of you but if I considered punching down. The people I see in that vector are not heiresses with more advantages than me. They tend to be people with less advantages. But maybe from where @bolamig sits, heiresses are disadvantaged folk. :man_shrugging:

26 Likes

Turns out she didn’t fill out her own college application at all. Apparently she assumed that kind of stuff was just taken care of by the Registration Fairy.

17 Likes

I think you meant, Giannulli blame’s her mom and dad…

13 Likes

Yeah, but that’s still separate from whether she, y’know, committed a federal crime herself to attend that elite university, and Cory is clearly blurring the lines here when he says stuff like “someone who is said to have bribed her way into university.”

2 Likes

Cory’s celebrity gossip column.

2 Likes

“Proper punctuation in identifications is necessary to delineate explicitly each product or service within a list and to avoid ambiguity,” officials wrote in the March 15 letter. “Commas, semicolons, and apostrophes are the only punctuation that should be used.”

is it possible that maybe she or her lawyer did use punctuation but there was some sort of punctuation that wasnt allowed on the form

maybe she use an ampersand or colon or something and that caused an issue with some online form

2 Likes

I think, maybe, that’s how she got where she is today.

16 Likes

“blames her mom and dad for this scandal and for the downfall of her career.”

The “dog ate my homework” excuse won’t get you far in life, I have first hand experience with this.

7 Likes

20 Likes

many years ago a creative student of mine told me he didn’t have his homework. when i asked why he said “extraterrestrials landed in our back yard last night and they took my homework as a sample of our culture on this planet.”

i excused the assignment.

14 Likes

I kinda feel:

1. She probably had no idea about the bribe and she’s probably right, it is her mom and dad’s fault.

2. At the same time, it seems unlikely that a 19 year old with no acting or music career or any other reason for the public to know who she is would have a career as a social media influencer and her own line of cosmetics at Sephora if not for who her parents are. (I know, I know, there ARE some social media celebrities who pull this off but they are a tiny, tiny percentage of the people who try.)

So I figure #1 and #2 cancel each other out. It’s a wash.

(Edited to change “who her parents were” to “who her parents are” because the former sounded kind of morbid).

6 Likes