Olympic doctor Larry Nassar sentenced to 175 years in prison for sexually abusing gymnasts and other women

After sentencing him, Aquilina said she never wanted Nassar to leave prison, and that he never would, telling him, “I just signed your death warrant.”

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking. A lot of very terrible people involved here.

3 Likes

Just another “he said/she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she and she said” situation.

14 Likes

So there are still many more co-conspirators to bring to justice.

9 Likes

Anna Lou Simon has finally been forced to step down, like she should have a long time ago. That’s a good start to accountability, but there’s a lot more that needs to be done.

6 Likes

Reposting:

3 Likes

What makes you think they like him?

More seriously, client wants to do something stupid - you tell him it’s stupid. You can’t stop him.

2 Likes

Oh, this isn’t over. Not by a long shot. NCAA has an investigation underway, I think I heard USA Gymnastics has reluctantly begun an investigation, and it would be negligent of the state police to not investigate further - so, I’m guessing there will be other people going to jail from plea deals.

The entity least likely to do anything is MSU. I’m glad the president stepped down yesterday, but it’s a token gesture if the circumstances that existed to allow a predator intimate access to a whole lot of athletes aren’t completely exposed and serious, substantive changes are made.

4 Likes

Oh! That’s right! Thanks… it’s been a while since a read that arc of the comic.

Michonne is so bad ass in both the comics and the show…

walking-dead-michonne-smile

5 Likes

Her comments weren’t great though… she complained about the rape of young girls being “politicized” and her sort of being a victim of that politicization.

2 Likes

I wish i had linked the article i read yesterday but someone from MSU was asked about their failings in stopping Nassar and what he thought about NCAA investigating them. The guy that they asked laughed and ended up turning the topic around to their basketball team.

Edit: Not the same article but it does feature most of the same quotes:

He is confident that the attorney-general investigation into Michigan State will find its “senior people are not complicit in what this pervert did.”

“I mean, when you go to the basketball game, you walk into the new Breslin, and the person who hustled and got all those major donors to give money was Lou Anna Simon,” Ferguson said. “There’s just so many things that make up being president at a university that keeps everything moving and everything right with the deans, everything at a school where we have a waiting list of students who want to come.”

Basically this boils down to basketball and seeking fundraising/donors. This guy abusing gymnasts? Not MSU’s problem, amirite? Also if i recall correctly in the last board meeting at MSU they spent literally 10 minutes talking about Nassar.

4 Likes

The Attorney General is a Republican. I’m not hoping for a whole lot there. But…there’s a private gymnastics school run by defected Romanian coaches that has been implicated, and this monster traveled with the women to meets, which makes the investigation multi-state, therefore FBI territory. I have a bit more hope that that outfit will do their job.

4 Likes

Its early for me still so i’m totally blanking… i think it was the Sandusky case, but from what i read previously the state for that case was investigating both Sandusky and the university’s role in the matter at the same time. For Nassar they said that they not have the budget to investigate both (even though they can ask federal investigators to help).

Anyway, one way or another i hope that more people will be held accountable for what happened to all those girls.

1 Like

Our legislators in Lansing could find them the money if they wanted to, but MSP would have to ask. If they haven’t asked, I’ll leave to the reader to ponder why that might be. If they have asked and been refused consideration, then I’ll just remind everyone that electing Republicans to all branches of your state government comes with consequences.

3 Likes

Man! What do you read that that scene wasn’t memorable?

2 Likes

It seems to me that like the boy scouts and the priesthood, pedos are drawn to gymnastics so that the organizations involved should be ESPECIALLY on the lookout. The fact that they seemed to ignore the first few girls that complained should be a wake up call to EVERYBODY.

3 Likes

A single instance of abuse is unacceptable and should’ve been taken seriously. The current count of victims in this case was what… over 160? That’s not just unacceptable, it’s something else entirely. I definitely hope more people are held accountable.

5 Likes

Oh, god no. She has been running from accountability from the start, and would still be there had the political pressure not become overwhelming. She should do time for criminal negligence.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I mean… it’s probably volume of stuff I’ve read more than anything. Since I read that arc, I might have read hundreds or books and comics. And I also wait to the end of the year and get the big omnibus editions and I think the governor arc is in 3 or 4… so it’s probably been 7 or 8 years since I’ve read it… You got to admit, there is lots of really fucked up violence in Walking Dead (both comic and show) - and sometimes I confuse plot point between the show and comic, as they aren’t the same.

Maybe it’s time for a re-read of the entire series?

3 Likes